13: Don't Worry About It

''I feel safe when you're holding me near''

Riven could feel the cool breeze of the wind against his skin as he walked over to where Sky was standing in the courtyard

Riven could feel the cool breeze of the wind against his skin as he walked over to where Sky was standing in the courtyard. It was Riven's turn to take the night shift, something he wasn't excited about. No one ever really was, as it was mostly a waste of time. The barrier did its work, so the only thing left to do was catching other students who were trying to sneak out. Riven, however, couldn't care less if they did. The upside of the night shift was being outside, in the dark. A no brainer really, Riven had decided to use this time to vape on the school premises.

'Good evening sunshine!', Sky greeted as Riven reached him.

Riven knew he was referring to the annoyed expression on his face, but could you blame him? Literally anybody would rather be in bed at this time than having to stroll around in the cold dark night air.

'Oh fuck off.', Riven hissed back. 'This shift is the worst of them all and you fucking know it.'

'Yeah, it is, but you seem to be in a particularly bad mood. did something happen between you and Rose?', Sky guessed as he raised an eyebrow.

He had caught Riven's attention with his question. It bothered him that his mood was being linked to a girl, like he wasn't in control of his own emotions, but he couldn't deny the fact that his heartbeat increased at the mention of her name.

'Why do you assume Rose has any influence on my mood?', Riven grumbled but his interest in her got the better of him as he quickly continued. 'Have you seen her today?'

'I think you just answered your own question, mate.', Sky chuckled, causing Riven to roll his eyes in annoyance. 'I haven't actually. I was at their dorm this afternoon with Bloom, but Rose wasn't there. Have you texted her?'

Riven knew Sky and Bloom were dating but the thought of him being in a room with Rose got under his skin. He scolded himself for his ridiculous thoughts before answering. 'No, I don't think that's a good idea.'

'Why not? Thought you guys were on good terms again.', Sky said.

'We are.', Riven stated coldly as he let out a groan. 'I doesn't matter, forget I asked. I gotta start my shift.', he added in the same tone as he tried to walk past Sky but the latter stopped him by grabbing ahold of his arm.

'Don't do this.', Sky scolded authoritatively. His tone bothered Riven and he was about to snap, but Sky was quick to cut him off. 'You can get mad, you can yell at me, you can walk away, but we both know it's all a show.'

Sky's remark took the fun out of all three options so Riven just let out a sigh in defeat and crossed his arms. He didn't meet Sky's gaze, but the fact that he was still standing there signalled he was willing to listen.

'Look, I get it, you don't like being here and you're trying to make yourself feel better by sleeping around, using stimulants and pissing people off but it's getting old. You spent the majority of last year drunk and I know you cut back on alcohol as of this year. We both know the reason behind it. You're not leaving here, so why don't you just make the best of it?', Sky questioned.