24: Back Off

''Another light lost from your face''

Professor Palladium was already waiting for them as Riven and Rose reached the simulation rooms.

Since they were already halfway through the trimester, Professor Palladium had set up meetings with all the duos to assess their progress and today, it was their turn.

'Good morning!', the professor greeted them cheerily. 'When I read through your files, I noticed that the two of you have already finished the seventh level. Well done.'

Rose couldn't stop the proud smile from forming on her face. It was just such a relief that she was finally doing well in this class as getting good results was important to her.

'Now, I've scheduled these private sessions to give each duo some extra pointers so you can all prepare yourselves properly for the exams of this trimester.', the professor explained. 'So, without further ado, good luck.'

With that, the doors to one of the simulation rooms opened and the pair made their way inside after Rose had transformed.

'Breathe.', Riven whispered as the door closed behind them.

He had sensed how nervous Rose had become, but she couldn't help it. Even though this wasn't exactly an exam, they were being watched which, to Rose, meant more pressure to perform well.

Riven's hand was resting lightly on her lower back and his touch was slightly comforting. She mumbled a quiet 'thank you' after taking a deep breath, but it was only after Rose had assured Riven she was good to go that the latter gave Professor Palladium the signal to start the simulation.

'Stay close to me.', Riven instructed as he pulled out his swords and the room started to take form.

Rose recognised her surroundings immediately. The high ceiling, tall windows and stone walls were all too familiar to her. The simulation was set in what seemed to be Alfea, but something was off.

As she trailed along after Riven, she took the time to absorb it all. The halls weren't lit up by light magic, paintings on the walls were crooked and paper littered the ground as if everyone had left in a hurry. The building was abandoned and, by the looks of it, for a while now.

It was quite dark inside the school without the light magic, but Rose noticed the torches on the walls. They were still there.

'Wait for a second.', Rose spoke softly as she tugged on Riven's sleeve. 'We can't see a thing. I'm going to light up the torches.'

As he stopped walking, she took a deep breath. She channelled her magic, feeling the familiar glowing of her eyes, the tingling in her fingertips, her magic flowing through her veins and as she snapped her fingers, bright flames formed on top of the torches.

'I'm just so glad you're a fire fairy.', Riven remarked as he swiftly pressed a kiss to her cheek.

It caused Rose to let out a giggle, but horror crossed her features as she quickly realised they were being watched. 'Stay focused.', she scolded as she swatted at him, but she couldn't completely hide the sliver of amusement in her voice.

'I am.', he said as they cautiously moved forward again, but the sound of his voice almost got completely swallowed by a sudden rumbling.

The noise was so loud, it made the walls shake and the floor tremble. It vibrated through their bodies, and it sent a shiver down Rose's spine.

'Was that-', she started, but she was too shocked to even finish her sentence as she froze on the spot.

'A roar? Yes, it was.', Riven finished for her. 'Keep going.'