smoke

"where's damiano?" i asked as i walked into the living room with the dogs, i bent down to unclip their leashes to which they immediately ran to curl up by the fire,

"out for a smoke," victoria said, not looking up from where she was cooking,

"really? it's so cold.." i said as i grabbed a chair at the kitchen island.

"well you know damiano, can barely go 2 hours with out a cigarette.." she replied as she went to rinse her hands,

"so what are you making?" i glanced over at her laptop that had the recipe pulled up, "ooh shrimp tacos, classy," she giggled and turned back to me and the food.

"how long has damiano been outside?" i asked before walking towards the back door,

"like 30 minutes maybe?" victoria said and looked around the kitchen.

"really? i'm gonna go get him.. it's really cold vic i don't want him to freeze.." i draped my jacket over my shoulders and headed outside and right where i expected to see him, damiano with a pack of cigarettes and a lighter..

"hi!" he said as i sat down next to him,

"hi.." i sighed

"something wrong?" he looked at me with a concerned look.

"yeah no i'm good.. just a long day.." i shivered and smiled weakly.. i watched damiano put out and light yet another cigarette..

"want one?" he said offering the pack to me.

"no i.. i don't smoke anymore.." i said and looked down at my feet, feeling guilty.

"since when?" he chuckled,

"3 months ago." i mumbled,

"oh.. ok." he said, he looked down at the ground awkwardly as well.

"damiano how many cigarettes have you had since you came out here.." i said without looking up from the ground..

"i don't know this is probably the 6th or 7th one.." he said quietly,

"oh.. well uh you should probably come inside after this one, i don't want you to get too cold.." i said and without looking back at him i walked back inside.

"so?" vic said looking at me holding a bowl of sauce for the tacos,

"oh.. i just told him he should come inside cause i didn't want him to get too cold.."

"y/n you know what i mean, how many?"

"i think he said 7 or 8, i tried not to listen.."

"y/n if you don't like him smoking so much why don't you just tell him.. he would do anything for you, you know he would quit for you in a heartbeat." she said setting down the mixing bowl and putting her hand on my shoulder. "i'll talk to him for you.." she said and gave me a sympathetic smile.

"thanks vic, call me when dinner's ready i'm gonna be in the home-studio," i said as i grabbed a bass tuner and set off for the studio.

"alright, probably will be another half hour.." she spoke..

*time skip*

i was working on a new song when damiano came into the studio..

"hi.." he said quietly and sat down, not looking up from the floor the whole time,

"hi!" i said forgetting what had happened 20 minutes prior,

"vic told me.."

"told you what honey?" i said as i returned my focus back to writing the bass tabs for the new song,