Chapter one

I wake up in the morning, and stretch. I jump out of bed, throwing the covers onto the floor, and sprint out the door. Sugarfluff, my cat, gets thrown off. She starts hissing. I smile, before picking her up, and poking her nose.

" I promise, I will give you some nice, fresh fish, if you go back to sleep." I giggle, as she brightens up. She jumps out of my arms, and jumps into the pile of blanket on the floor. She turns around three times, making herself comfortable, before plopping down, and snoozing.

I bound out the door, and quickly, but quietly, clamber down the stairs. I try not to wake up the rest of my family, knowing they will not like it that I am up at dawn. I grab a few coins from the money jar we keep in the kitchen cabinet, and put them in my satchel bag. Then I bolt out the door, and sprint to the hidden meadow. As I near the docks, I see the first shipment of fresh caught fish. People rush to get some, but I beat them to it.

I grab three fish, pay the man, and head off home. I throw the fish at the door, trying to get my cat's attention. Oh well. She can get it some other time. I run to the hidden meadow.

I catch my breath, and brush the trees away. I make my way to the clearing, and drop to my knees, and start to uncover my sword. I stare at its carefully forged iron. A pattern runs down it, and the jewels that encrust it, look dirty. I grab my dress, and start cleaning it, with it. I then swing the sword around, trying to make steady sword slashes in the air. I get up, and start imaginary sword fight with the Pirates.

I can hear their yells of defeat, as I bring my blade close to Leo's neck. He would chuckle, and throws his head back, letting out a small fit of laughter. Oh, how I miss his laugh. I swing the blade towards Van, and he blocks. I swing once more, letting out a small yell of victory. Then I hear a voice behind me.

" What are you doing, Julie?"