Chapter nine

I sit on the wood floor, stroking Leo's face. How could Dennis do such a cruel act? What gave him the authority, to hurt my friend?

Then again, you could say, Dennis I'd pretty jealous. He walked in on us kissing. But that isn't my problem.

But Dennis loves me. And I don't love Dennis. I love Leo.

But I knew Dennis longer. Leo wouldn't do anything to harm me. Dennis hurt Leo. Just because he loved me.

Leo would never do anything like that.

Captain William comes down the hatch.

" He is alright, right?" I ask, looking at him with big eyes.

" He got a nasty blow to the head. I reckon, he'll be fine. He will wake up in a couple of hours or so. In the meantime, what are we going to do about the storm?"

I glance at him. " What storm?"

He smirks. " The one heading our way." My heart pounds.

I jump up. Captain comes up the hatch, with me.

The others laugh, and talk, while we head up the basket. A storm cloud is rolling in quickly. The waves of the ocean start getting higher, and higher.

Then I see it. A funnel cloud of water, and wind hurl towards our ship.

Captain starts to shout below.

" VAN! RAISE THE SAILS. TERENCE! STEER CLEAR OF THIS STORM! ALEC, MAKE SURE MY NEPHEW WAKES UP. DENNIS, PREPARE FOR THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE." I smile. Dennis will be surprised. We stay in the search basket, and watch the typhoon come closer, and closer.

An icy spray hits my face. I laugh out loud, as I get a damp dress. Captain smiles, and takes my hand.

" I love this life." He says. I nod my head, and give him a hug.

Dennis is screaming like a child, and I start to chuckle. Captain snorts at Dennis.

The whole ship rocks back and forth, and I scream as I get thrown out of the basket. Captain jumps out after me. We slip and slide across the deck. Then I see. Fish are starting to be sucked out of the water, by the powerful winds. Fish fall onto our ship, and I gag. Dennis cries as a fish lands into his hands. I smile.

He starts to throw it, but I stop him.

" Stop. This is good meat. You don't know what you have gotten yourself into. " I take the fish, and throw it at Van.

He catches it by surprise." I'm gonna cook this right? Oh I got a meal for prissy boy. " He cackles, and all of us Pirates laugh at a confused Dennis. Van's cooking. Oh I remember that day. I threw up. Let's see how well this boy can hold his breakfast.

Leo wakes up, and comes up the hatch. I run up to him, and tackle him with a hug.

" Thank god you are okay! You should be so great full you lucky lad! I don't know how you could have survived that blow!"

Tears start coming down my cheeks for no reason. I guess I am mad at Dennis for hurting him.

Leo trails a thumb across my cheek.

" Don't cry Captain." I gasp.

" You called me captain!" I look at the others. They nod their head, and smile. Everyone except Dennis.

" I swear, If this is a sick joke, I will behead all of you." I look at them sternly.

" It isn't Sparky." Captain says. " We now have two captains. Me, and you. Isn't that great?" I try to look happy, but it is hard.

" Guys... I can't do this. I know how much this means to you. Let Dennis be second captain. I like working with you guys as a team. Not telling people what to do." Captain's smile fades.

" Very well. Dennis, you are now the second captain of the ship. If anything goes wrong, you are held accountable for. " the rest of our smiles fade. This will not be good. What have I done?