The Nick of Time

You panted lightly as you stared at where the summons had been. They'd disappeared now, leaving you to recognize the entire village was under attack still as you tried to seek them out. You could feel souls getting snuffed out faster than you liked. Many souls were gathered in one spot. You could hardly sense Kakashi's soul, and you couldn't... you couldn't sense Sans... you could still sense your team, evacuating civilians and protecting them, it seemed. You couldn't afford to dwell on what happened to Sans. You needed to find Kakashi and pull him out of the fight before his soul disappeared. You could pull out any other injured while you were at it. You started running toward where you sensed Kakashi's soul, feeling for other injured survivors while you were at it. Mostly, you found death. Everywhere you turned, there was a dead Konoha citizen or shinobi. Whoever was attacking was strong, and they had been busy while you were distracted by their summons. Bones helped lift heavy items while blasters got rid of rubble in blocked passages. They also helped to remove the wounded from where they were trapped or stranded. You were coming, Kakashi.

⛩️⛩️⛩️

You got to a particularly destroyed area. It looked as if everything around you had been shoved away. It was in that mess that you found Kakashi half buried in the rubble. Not far from him was a familiar blue hoodie, confirming your thoughts on Sans passing. You had no time to fetch it, Kakashi was critical and needed you now, but you made a note to come back for it when it was safer. Blasters and bones helped to remove the rubble your remaining father was buried in and hold it up if it was too heavy to be removed. You used soul magic to help you pull him out and onto your back. Then you sensed him. A man with orange hair, up in the sky, arms raised in the air. You felt a sort of pressure, like something terrible was going to happen, and took a shortcut as far as you could, just far enough to see the entire village get crushed. Everything you knew... the place you called home. Your father's resting place, along with so many others. You couldn't stop the animalistic growl that started from deep within you.

⛩️⛩️⛩️

A new soul, well souls, appeared into the center of the destroyed village. You recognized Naruto's soul immediately, Among five others, summons you guessed. You would get your turn with that man, but you still had Kakashi to care for. You could probably jump in when Naruto needed help. You lifted your hands to Kakashi's wounds and started to heal the more severe and visible of the injuries. You tried to see what was going on while you did so, but it proved fruitless. Best you could do was feel that - wait, the others didn't have souls? He was fighting corpses? So then... who was the puppet master? Where was he? "Lady [Y/N]." Wha- You looked down to see Katsuyu. "How long have you been here?" You questioned. "Throughout the entire battle. Hidden in Kakashi's vest."
"Can you tell me what's going on?" You requested to the slug summon. "The Akatsuki member known as Pain has attacked the village in search of Naruto. Naruto has confronted these invaders in Sage Mode. They seem to be outmatched at the moment." You smiled a little. That was your bestie for you. Always coming in the nick of time. "Keep me in the loop, please, Katsuyu." 
"Of course, Lady [Y/N]."

⛩️⛩️⛩️

 As far as you could tell, Naruto needed no assistance out there whatsoever. He was doing amazing out there with his senjutsu. That being said, you focused on healing your father and ignored the discomfort in your soul, knowing that Sans was dead and there was nothing you could do about it. It helped a little to know he'd been put out of his suffering, and it helped more to know that it was for the sake of the village. Sans had died, fighting for you, your home, Kakashi. He fought to protect everything you cared about.  Now you had nothing to bury. There had been no body, and the jacket you were planning on going back for was reduced to nothing since the village was. Kakashi's soul beat was growing stronger. You knew he was going to be ok now. You pulled away slowly and reluctantly. You'd drained a good amount of magic to heal him, but it was well worth it. The battle between Naruto and Pain was still going strong, though from the sounds of it, Naruto was starting to struggle a bit. You were fully prepared to jump down there yourself and do as your father did. This was your home after all. If he would die for it, you knew damn certain that you would too in a soul beat. 

⛩️⛩️⛩️

You decided to move Kakashi to somewhere a little more stable while Naruto was still on the winning side of the battle. You were hoping to run into someone before it did take a turn for the worst, but honestly, you didn't know. You weaved your way to souls. You could've swore you caught scent of- "[Y/N]!" You perked up, and your tail wagged at the familiar voice. "Kasai! Yoru! Hizuki Sensei! It's great to see you all!" Hizuki immediately went to check Kakashi's vitals and took him from you. "You did good, [Y/N]. Come on, let's get you checked on too. You look tired."
"I think everyone is tired, Hizuki Okasan." She blushed, ears folding down in surprise. "Okasan~?" Kasai started. "Now isn't the time, Kasai." Yoru cut him off. "Now is the perfect time! Tensions are high-. " You chuckled lightly as your team started to head back to where people were gathered. You'd missed this. "Naruto has been captured by Pain, Hinata is trying to protect him." Katsuyu informed. "Wait, wait, wait [Y/N] don't -" Hizuki's attempt was in vain as you disappeared.