The Dust Box

Gaara picked you up a few days later when he came back with Lady Tsunade. Your first instinct was to kiss his soft lips before he held you close to him, murmuring soft reassurances to you regarding all that you'd been through recently. You weren't really paying attention. Just soaking up the attention you were getting from your soulmate while he was with you. "I'll take good care of her while she is with me..." Gaara promised Tsunade. "Will you be able to lead the front and care for her?" Tsunade questioned. Gaara nodded before catching your attention with a small kiss to the crown of your head. "Let's go pack you a bag, [Y/N]..." You let him lead you along, feeling lost in a swarm of emotions. There was so much happening at once. You had just lost Sans, and now all the countries were at war to stop the Akatsuki from taking Naruto and taking the Fox like they had with Gaara. You had to snap out of it - to help Naruto, but - "You will get there, beautiful." Gaara looked down at you with soft pale green eyes. "You will be able to help in time. Just focus on you first."

⛩️⛩️⛩️

Hizuki was surprised to see the Kazekage in her home, but it didn't last. She recalled something about you and Gaara being soulmates, so when you came out to the kitchen with the tupper of dust and the jacket, along with a packed backpack, she remembered. "Would either of you two like to eat before you leave for the Sand?" You didn't feel hungry at the moment. "N-"
"Could we take some for the road? It will be a long journey back." Gaara requested. Hizuki wagged her tail at the compromise, knowing just as well as he did that you were going to deny the meal. Hizuki went on to prepare meals for the both of you that would last for the three day journey. "I will see you on the battlefield, the both of you." Gaara took the food and packed them into his own travel bag while you and Hizuki shared a hug. "We will see you then. Are you ready, [Y/N]?" You nodded quietly. "Let's go to the Sand Village..." Gaara took your hand in his softly before leading you out. The sand came to Gaara's beckoned call, lifting you both up to leave Konaha.

⛩️⛩️⛩️

You dreamt of Naruto that night, how he was doing. How he was getting stronger. You dreamt of Kakashi and Hizuki and how they were preparing for the war and probably missing you. You dreamt of Sans and how he didn't regret what had happened. How he died for your sake. To protect your people. How it was your turn to do the same. Not die, but protect. You had very important people in your life you needed to protect. People like Gaara. Like your adopted parents who had raised you. Like your very best friend. Like your team. You woke up on a bed in Suna. You never knew how much shorter the trip became when riding Gaara's sand. It was impressive, really. The room was Gaara's. Pictures of his siblings and himself were hung on the wall, and there was a photo of a pretty lady on his nightstand. You believed it to be his mom, judging by how old it was. Next to his dresser was your bag, and on top of it was Sans hoodie, neatly folded, and his dust which you wanted to find a box for. You knew Gaara would help with that, if not his siblings.

⛩️⛩️⛩️

One of the meals that Hizuki made was sitting out for you in the kitchen. Despite not really wanting to, you heated it up to eat something. It had been a while, after all. Your head twitched at the sound of someone coming into the doorway. "Gaara will be happy to hear you are eating..." Temari smiled softly. "It's nice to see you again, [Y/N], we missed you..." You walked over so you both could hug. "I heard you were going through a rough time. I'm always here if you need anything..." You nodded softly. "Is he doing Kazekage stuff..?" Temari nodded softly. "Yes, but he said he would be back soon." There was a ting sound, letting you know that your food was heated up. "Can you help me with something after I eat..?" Once more, she nodded. "Sure! What is it?" You turned away sadly to get your food. "I want to get a decorative box to put my father's dust in." Temari went dead quiet for a moment. "... of course, I'm so sorry for your loss..." You simply gave her a sad smile and went to eat.

⛩️⛩️⛩️

You and Temari went out once you finished your food and replenished your magic. There was a funeral shop meant specifically for cremation and had all sorts of urns and boxes for ashes. You wanted Sans to be special, though. The man had given you life and trained you in what Kakashi couldn't. So, box after box and urn after urn were rejected. Temari tried to be helpful in what you were looking for, something blue and yellow and wildly elegant. Temari didn't entirely understand what that meant until she found it. The box was dark wood with golden accents lining the top and bottom of the box. Around it was beautifully painted trees and a blue-black sky dotted with stars. "What about this?" Temari showed it to you, and you felt your breath catch in your throat. Temari insisted on buying it for you as a gift. "What name would you like engraved on it, dearies?" The gentleman up front asked. "Sans..." You replied. "Sans the Skeleton."