The Beginning of the Fourth War

Temari helped in transferring Sans' dust from the tupper to a silk pouch, and Gaara came in as you carefully placed the pouch in the box and closed the lid. "He would feel comfortable in there, I think..." He said as he came up from behind. You were more than happy to lean into him sa he rested his hands on your shoulders to message them. "I should be doing that for you, Mr. Kazekage..." You felt he was right, though. Somehow, you could feel more at ease... like Sans was finally comfortable, wherever he was. Gaara chuckled a barely audible chuckle. "I am quite alright, [Y/N], but thank you. Would you like to place him beside my mother?" Gaara offered. You looked up at him curiously. Gaara was happy to show you what he meant. He meant the photo on his nightstand. "She was buried in the cemetery, but I still keep her close..." You nodded and put Sans' box next to her. "I hope they become good friends... wherever they are." Gaara immediately nodded his agreement. "As do I..." You both hugged and shared a kiss. "I love you, [Y/N]..." He whispered. "I love you too, Gaara..." You kissed him again.

⛩️⛩️⛩️

And time went on. You got to see Kankuro once during preparations for the Great Ninja War, and per your request, Temari was mending the rips and tears in Sans' jacket. You appreciated it, especially knowing that she, too, like everyone else, was preparing for the war. It seemed like you were the only one who wasn't getting ready. Gaara and Temari insisted that it was ok that you needed time to process and mourn... You still felt bad, though. You should at least practice your magic or something. Gaara understood your point, and Temari was happy to be your training partner among her already busy schedule. You sometimes wondered what you deserved to gain such a sister-in-law in soulmate terms. You and Gaara were marked for life, that you had made sure of during your many talks of the future... followed by passion. Once the war was over, Gaara wanted to marry you and for you to move in. You liked the idea, though you still wanted to see Naruto become the Hokage. "I want to be there for that as well." Gaara had replied. It was still up in the air for now, but you did promise that it would happen. You would move in and get married one day.

⛩️⛩️⛩️

Eventually, the day came when you had to say goodbye. With the preparations complete, everyone was mobilizing. The Great War was starting. It would be just you and the civilians left, while the Shinobi all went to battle. During your final dinner together, Gaara handed you the same Shinobi headband that he and Temari wore. "Join us when you are ready..." Gaara kissed you as he closed your hand around it. You kissed back with the promise that you wouldn't be far behind. "I'll catch up really quickly, just you watch!" Both the Sand siblings chuckled. They didn't doubt it for a second. You and Gaara went to bed with one more act of passion in the form of something Sans never did explain to you, but you instinctively knew. Soul Synchronization was the strongest process of bonding and getting to know each other. It was technically supposed to happen before marking, but Sans never did get this far in the soulmate talk with you. It didn't really matter now. Both your pasts were known to each other now.

⛩️⛩️⛩️

Gaara and Temari were gone the next day. Just as you'd been told, they left early, long before you were up, judging by the scent. Temari still left you some breakfast waiting in the fridge and a gift for you on the table. It was Sans' jacket, all fixed up and washed. It was soft, and the hoods fluff was fluffy. Temari had taken her time to wash the dirt stains out and brush out the mats. It looked brand new, and you weren't sure how to feel about it. Even when Sans had it off, the jacket still felt used, unlike now. Maybe it was a bad idea to- no. You were grateful because now the jacket was yours, and it was your turn to break it in. You took off your old one and draped it over the chair before slipping on the one that used to be Sans'. After that, you tied on the Shinobi headband. This felt right. You would make your breakfast and eat, then you would get a pouch ready, and you would head towards the Land of Lightning with every intention of joining the war and protecting Naruto.

⛩️⛩️⛩️

You had left before noon, running as fast as your paws would carry you. The village and Sans were left behind to be safe while you went to finally confront the threat head on with the rest of the Shinobi of the Five Great Nations. You sent your senses out to make sure nobody had gotten past the Gaara's front. Your soulmate was strong though, and had a good many strong Shinobi on his front. You would be surprised if the enemy did manage to get passed him. The Akatsuki wouldn't get him a second time and you hoped you would get there on time to make sure of it. You summoned a blaster to help you go faster. You would help to save as many people as you could. There would be casualties... there were always casualties in a war, but you would try to make them minimal. First and foremost though, you had a lot of ground to cover in order to catch up and a little time, or so you felt considering it was a war, to do so. Either way, you were ready to fight now.