Chapter 8

I was scared. I lay awake on my bed staring up at the ceiling. What did Micheal mean by "I'll see tomorrow?" What if his girlfriend does come tomorrow? Should I tell her what has happened between Ryan and I or should I keep that secret?

My heart was beating hard in my chest. When it finally slowed down, I closed my eyes sleepily and fell into a deep sleep.

My alarm clock rang loudly. It was 5:00. I grudgingly rolled myself off the bed and regretted it after I fell off with a loud thud. I laughed hysterically to myself for a moment before running to the bathroom to get ready for this surprise arrival.

After I finished taking a shower, I dug into my wardrobe for something cool to wear. I wanted to give a fierce look as if I had nothing to worry about. I had picked out a neon green tank top and black leather pants. I decided to put my hair in a bun because I didn't want to take it out of the ponytail. I rubbed some lip balm on my lips and pinched my cheeks to get a rosy pink color.

It was still too early to get out of my bedroom. It was only 6:45 and I wondered if Hillary was awake. I actually haven't heard from her in a while. I took out my phone and texted her.

Kelly: Hey Hillary!!

Hillary: Look who's finally texting me. Where have you been and don't tell me at home because that place is empty.

I hesitated a bit before texting back to her. Was I really ready to tell her? I texted back, hating every letter I put into the text message.

Kelly: ur gonna be really mad at me.

Hillary: Tell me. I'm already mad!! :(

Kelly: My dad went on a year long business trip and I am staying with one of his friends. Which happens to be Ryan's dad. I have been here for more than three weeks now.

Hillary: OMG!!! You are staying with Ryan. So cool. I forgive you!! Give me the details!!

Kelly: Let's do that when I go to your house okay. I feel like they could easily steal my phone.

Hillary: Fine. But you are coming over soon.

Kelly: Deal.

************************

I was getting really into my book when there was a knock at the door. "Come in!!" Hannah stepped in. "We are having someone over okay. We do not have anymore open rooms so is it okay if she stays with you?" I nodded. "Sure". She smiled and looked over me one more time before giving me a nervous smile.

"She will be here in f-". The doorbell rang loudly throughout the house. "Well she is here". I laughed nervously. "Yup. Can't wait to meet her." The sarcasm was heavy in my voice but she didn't seem to notice.

Hannah and I walked side by side downstairs until she made her way into the kitchen. I walked slowly to the living room. I didn't know why I was scared but the reason why struck me so hard in the face when I saw her.

She was stunning. Literally stunning. She looked like a model. Her long black hair cut evenly at her back and her brown eyes shimmered with the sun shining through the windows. Her short black dress showed her curves perfectly at the top and then flowed at the bottom. She turned to look at me and smiled.

Ryan and Micheal were already there talking to her but when they saw me, they stopped also. I blushed. The girl took long strides toward me and stretched her hand out. "You must be Kelly." Her voice was sweet and flowed as if she loved to drink honey. I took her hand and shook it. "Yes, and your name is?" She smiled, showing me perfectly whitened teeth and pink gums. "Miranda, Miranda Kizor". I smiled and put my hand down. I stole a quick glance at Ryan. His eyes were trained, unfocused, on the floor.

Micheal was smiling so hard that I thought his teeth were going to pop out of his head. I wanted to knock them out myself. Hannah walked in with refreshments. Literally, everything on that plate was either a vegetable or a fruit. I watched as Miranda thanked her and picked up a celery stick and started chewing on it. She probably was a model.

After ten minutes of greeting and talking to Miranda, I walked into the kitchen to make some breakfast. I didn't want anything too heavy so I decided upon a yogurt and some granola. I went up to my room to eat it.

Miranda was sitting on my bed. "Oh, hey Miranda". She smiled. "Don't worry, I will be sleeping on my waterbed". I smiled and sat next to her on my bed. "Are you a model? I'm sorry. I had to ask. You look so perfect". She laughed. "Yea. My mom's a famous model and my dad is a huge business owner. I model just for fun sometimes." I kept smiling even though I hated her guts for no reason at all. "Well that is cool. I hope you enjoy the stay even though my bedroom is not state of the art". I dug into my breakfast. "Its fine. You can get bored of high quality sometimes." We giggled and Miranda started out of the room. "I gotta go. Ryan and I are going out". My heart thumped loudly. "Oh. I didn't know you guys were dating." Her eyes dropped to the floor. "We aren't yet but we're getting there." I smiled and waved at her. When she left, I literally started dancing.

My body ached for a walk. It was still daylight outside and I hadn't changed from the clothes I had put on when Miranda was here. It was only 3:30 p.m when I checked the clock. I set an alarm on my phone for 5:00 p.m that I should be home. I took my leather jacket from the closet near my bed and walked out of the bedroom. I thought I looked like a biker chick. I mean leather pants, leather jacket, and a neon tank top. Who wouldn't believe I was a biker chick?

I walked out of my bedroom door smiling because of the thoughts I was thinking of. I ran to the kitchen and took a granola bar and a bottle of water from the pantry. I jogged to the front door and walked out. The sun shined right into my eyes and I had to squint real hard before my eyes started to adjust.

I walked straight for a while and took a left where I knew there was a busy square. In about five minutes, stores appeared on each side of the street and people were walking around, talking, and carrying about on their errands. I spotted a salad bar and suddenly my stomach felt empty. Even though I still had the granola bar, my feet were still carrying me to the salad bar.

There was a strong smell of ranch dressing when I opened the door to the salad bar and it somehow made me feel more comfortable. The restaurant wasn't too full but it still felt a little crowded. I walked swiftly over to a table and picked up a menu. I only had fifty dollars in my wallet at the time because I had spent the rest of it on books.

My eyes fell upon a small chicken salad. I ordered it quickly and waited while they were preparing it. The bell for the door rang and I looked up from the sketching of vegetables on the table. A boy walked in followed by a woman. The boy was tugging his mother in as if eager to show her something. The frown on her face indicated that she was exhausted. I laughed quietly to myself. He reminded me of me when I was young. I would always pull both of my parents into my bedroom to check out what I thought was a work of art. My heart tightened. The feeling of homesickness overwhelmed me. I wanted to cry but the waiter was already on his way with my salad and my stomach grumbled again.

After the waiter placed my salad on the table, the bell rang again. I smiled at the waiter and looked at the door. This time it was three people. Two of them I recognized. It was Ryan and Miranda and this other guy who was really good looking. Miranda waved vigorously towards me after searching probably the whole restaurant for somewhere to sit with her eyes. I waved back and beckoned her over. I meant only her.

She literally ran towards me with Ryan and the mystery guy behind her. Of course, Miranda reached me first with a huge smile. "Hi! Ryan, Dean, and I saw you come in here and we decided to follow you". Dean looked confused and then he laughed. "By we, she means that she decided to follow you". I laughed partly because of the joke he had made and because I thought he was going to have a British accent. 

"Well hi guys. I just came in here for a salad". Miranda sat down across from me at the double benched table. Dean slid in next to her. Ryan hesitated before finally sitting besides me.

"Kelly, this is Dean Knight. Dean, this is Kelly-". She looked at me as if asking me to finish. "Jacobs, Kelly Jacobs. It is very nice to meet you Dean". He smiled and took my hand. "The pleasure is all mine". His voice was soothing and I relaxed a little into my chair. Ryan looked uncomfortable. "Lets order!" He tried to sound happy and it may have fooled the others, but I heard the despair in his voice. He didn't want to be here.