Chapter 18

As we got closer, I could make out where Ryan was. I struggled even harder against her grip but she clung tighter. "Trust me Kelly, you will forever thank me for this". I hissed at her and finally gave up my attempt as we got nearer to my doom. The end of my normal life. The start of a complicating one. 

I smiled widely at Miranda once we were in front of them. It turns out, they were not alone. They were talking with a group of the popular kids from out school. But only a few of them. For some reason, I felt a little better. Miranda jumped up and hugged me, "Omg Kelly! Hi! I miss you so much. And you too Hillary!" Miranda instantly hugged Hills too and I laughed nervously. The group was now looking at me and Ryan was pretending that I didn't even exist. Well, not everyone in the group was staring at me. One of the boys was taking a huge interest in Hillary, who flirted back. Typical Hillary. I didn't know what to say or do. Their eyes were all on me as if I had something on my face. I self-consciously touched my face to check if there was something on me. I left my hair out of my ponytail because my dad threatened me this morning about it. He said he would 'kick me out'. I had no choice.

Ryan turned to look at me and his eyes locked on mine. It was the first time since I had seen him for a long time. It was clear he hadn't shaven his face for a month. There was a bit of stubble under his chin. "Hey Ryan. How are you?" His eyes were still locked on mine when he said, "I'm fine. How are you?" I thought carefully about what I was going to say before I said it. That resulted in a lame answer like, "I'm fine." One of Ryan's friends looked at Ryan as if he were crazy. "Ryan, isn't that the girl from our school. If I were you I would compliment her. She is the hottest girl I have ever seen in my life". Even though he was whispering, I heard every word and I couldn't help blushing. Ryan looked at me again and said, "You look nice". His friend slapped him in the back of the head. I think I'm kinda starting to like this guy. (Joking) Ryan rubbed the back of his head slowly. "You look beautiful Kelly. This guy over here is my best friend Dylan. I have known him for a long time and he is a pain in my-" Dylan shushed him and smiled at me. "Hey Kelly. I hope we will see each other again during the school year." He playfully kissed my hand and I laughed. He was cute. His brown hair was combed neatly through and his clothing sense was obviously on point. He had taken off his beanie after we came, but I wanted him to keep it on, secretly. "I beckoned over to Hillary , who was now giggling loudly with one of the guys from Ryan's group. "That's my best friend over there, her name is Hillary. She's more like a sis to me".

Dylan acknowledged Hillary and looked back at me. "Well, it was nice to meet you Kelly. I mean in person. I have seen you around school but I have never properly met you soo..." I smiled but I also wanted to cry because, at that moment, Ryan had put his hand over Miranda, cuddled her, and kissed the top of her head. I guess its official. They were dating. I felt the heat rush up to my cheeks and was praying happily in my head that there may be a diversion so I could sneak away. Fortunately, the principal of the school walked on to the stage and shushed us. Hillary and I found places to sit. The principal cleared her throat and waved hello to everyone.

"Good afternoon, my new students. It was a pleasure admitting intellectual students like you into our school. Make no mistakes. We could easily replace you so behave yourselves maturely. I am Principal Diane and I hope you find your stay here amazing. For the students who do not choose to live in the school, make sure you are here on time and do not cause trouble. For the students who do choose to stay here, I will be giving you your own room key and you will be able to meet your new roommates. I hope you have a great year in Scholarsdale College. Without furthermore instructions, I will call you up to receive your room key, and once you get it, please go and find your rooms. Your suitcases will already be there waiting for you".

***

I walked towards the girls' quarters. I already knew how the dorm buildings were structured. There were one hundred rooms for each of the first ten letters in the alphabet for the boys and the girls' quarters. There were three school buildings with fifty large classrooms in each and a huge swimming pool. There was a brick wall surrounding the whole piece, making it one of the best protected schools in the world.