Chapter 24

"Your mom really does know how to throw a party", I said while picking up an empty soda can. The party was over and we were left cleaning the house. "Don't tell me you doubted my partying skills Kelly", Hannah said while walking into the living room. "I didn't doubt them. I just didn't know you were this capable". I laughed and she smiled wider. "So Kelly, did your Dad show you the surprise yet?" I shook my head. "I actually haven't seen him at all today. Not even during the party".

"Wow! Well, he's here! He greeted Marcus and I once he came in. I thought you already saw him." My eyes widened at the comment that he was here. Right now. "Well, I'm going to say hi and receive this surprise he has brought to me." As I began walking out of the room, I felt two hands pulling me back. I turned my head and saw both Ryan and Hannah's hands on my shoulders. "Oh no. You're not having fun before cleaning", Hannah said with a wicked grin on her face. "Yea! First, clean and then talk", Ryan agreed. I humphed in defeat. "Fine! Ryan, please pass me the broom." He chuckled at my defeat and ran to the far corner for another broom. He came back and handed the broom to me with a wicked smile. I hit him over the head with itand ran as fast as my legs would take me.

I tried with all of my might to quickly finish cleaning the place, but every time Hannah and Ryan saw me progressing, they would stop cleaning and make a mess somewhere else. "Its not funny!" I yelled at them after they had accidentally broke a glass cup in the middle of the living room, where I had just swept. I walked over to the spot and swept all of the dust into a pile.

I finished the living room in five minutes after the trouble makers (Ryan and Hannah) had fled to the grill, where my Dad and Marcus were. "Finally", I mumbled to myself. I walked out of the house and walked to the grill. I could already see a few people there.

I walked closer and stuck my tongue out at Hannah and Ryan. They laughed. "You're all done?" I nodded and smiled crazily as I spotted my dad sitting down on a bench besides Marcus. "Well, you may now be able to receive your surprise". I smiled and ran wildly to my father. "Dad!" He looked around and then his eyes landed on me. At first, he looked confused and then realization hit him. "Kelly!" He stood up and hugged me.

"I missed you so much, pumpkin!" I laughed and gently pulled away from the hug. "Dad, I heard you had a surprise for me." He chuckled and held my shoulders with both of his arms. "Wait, let me get a chance to look at you. I didn't even recognize you when you were running towards me... You look just like your mother." I smiled and blushed a little when I remembered Ryan, Marcus, and Hannah were still there.

"Thanks Dad!" I continued to stare at him until he said, "Oh! Right! The surprise. Well, I just know you're gonna love her!" I think I know what the surprise is. He got me a dog! I have always wanted a dog. "Briar!" I furrowed my brows after he called out a name that sounded nothing like a dog's name. After a few seconds, a woman stepped out from the back of the house.

She walked over to my dad, smiling. That wasn't a dog. Why is the surprise a woman? I don't want her. Realization hit me one she kissed my dad on the forehead. I stopped smiling. "Kelly, this is Briar Daniels, my fiancee. Briar, this is my lovely daughter Kelly." My dad stood there smiling like a lunatic. Briar held out her hand, but I backed up into the wall of the house. "Kelly, is something wrong?" My dad was clueless. Well, at least he looked like he was clueless. The look on my face was pure surprise. Once again, my dad never failed to surprise me. "Dad, when did this happen?", I spat out bitterly.

Ryan walked over to me. My dad's eyes stayed on me. "We met during my business trip. Please don't tell me you have a problem with this." I let a tear escape and slide down my cheek. "So... You're planning on replacing mom?" It was hard to let the words out, with all of the bile that had formed in my mouth. "Kelly, what do... What do you mean replacing your mom? You were the one who was trying to help me move on. What are you so mad about? Briar is a nice woman." Was I wrong to be angry? I wasn't informed of any of this. I guess this is how surprises are now. This is not fair. "Briar", I hissed. "I wasn't told of any of this". My dad reached forward to comfort me, but I dodged it.