Part 4: Birth of the Chainsaw

Over the course of a few weeks, (Y/N) and Denji worked and lived together. Denji had the benefit of a super-powered frog helping him take down demons, along with the delicious deer meat the frog used to pay 'rent'. Thanks to this new help, along with a side gig of selling the deerskins that he didn't overly damage, he was making good progress on his debt payment. (Y/N) was actually pretty good at math, and calculated that it'd take at least 10.3 billion years to pay the debt at where he was going. He wasn't sure how much that was, but it seemed achievable with enough work.

It was like a dream to (Y/N). Buds with what could be argued to be his friggin' hero. It was always awesome but over time it became... normal... in a way. This 'hero' that he had cheered on while laying in his bed on late school nights had become his pal. Someone who ate meals with, chatted with, and killed devils with. 

His friend. 

It was a surreal feeling, but a pleasant one.

...

...

...

"Hey, (Y/N)." Denji said.

"Mhm?" (Y/N) sat up from his newspaper mattress and met Denji's gaze.

"Why did you know my name when we first met?"

...

...

...

"Uh..." (Y/N) averted his gaze and rubbed his nape. "Any answer I'd give wouldn't satisfy you. I'll leave it at that." (Y/N) said.

"...Alright." Denji closed his eyes and laid his head back down.

...

...

...

"Hey (Y/N)."

"Mhm?" (Y/N) sat up again. 

"Do you have any dreams?" Denji asked.

"Abstract or while sleeping?" (Y/N) asked.

"Uh... Like... Like things you want to happen in the future but most likely won't."

"Oh... Uh..." (Y/N) quieted for a bit. He couldn't answer with his true goal, he couldn't tell Denji that. "I... I guess I don't have any goals right now. But if I were to say anything..."

"I want to stay your pal."

...

...

...

"Gay." Denji chuckled, and (Y/N) grunted. "My dreams would be..."

"Eating bread slathered in jam."

"Makin out with a super hot girl eeeeevery day."

"Playin videogames with her in our room."

"And fallin' asleep in her arms every single night."

...

...

...

"Sounds... nice..." (Y/N) muttered.

"Really? Cuz you don't look so impressed." Denji scoffed, looking at (Y/N).

(Y/N) was sweating profusely, and he gripped the newspaper under him.

"It's happening tonight..." (Y/N) thought. His breathing was low and hoarse. Denji stared at him, confused for a bit before turning to Pochita.

"Cool dream, right?" He asked the Chainsaw dog.

"Bark!" Pochita barked his enthusiasm and Denji laughed.