Part 46: Easy Revenge

"I see..."

"So you'll get what you want, then (Y/N) will die trying to save you from... something... And that future can't be changed." Angel muttered. The two sat on a bench, enjoying some ice cream.

Aki nodded.

"So, what do you want me to do about it?" Angel asked. "If you wanted to cheat the system, just wish for (Y/N) to not die."

"I don't want you to do anything, it's not the reason I came here." Aki said.

"Then why did you-"

"I'm going on a mission to capture The Gun tomorrow. What that future fuck said was vague, but if 'costing me greatly' means I'll die..." Aki trailed off.

"...A Public Safety devil hunter will be assigned a new partner after their partner's death. But given your track record, they might just put you down." Aki muttered, reaching into his coat. "If it comes to that, give them this envelope." Aki said, placing an envelope to Angel's side.

"What is it?" Angel asked, picking it up.

"A letter of recommendation from me and Master Kishibe. It's for security, and it was a bitch trying to convince Kishibe to sign. It also says you could be reassigned as a contract devil, like Fox and Future." Aki explained.

...

...

...

"Well, aren't you nice..." Angel muttered, averting his gaze. "Y'know, the folks at public safety say you're the number one devil hater..." Angel said. "Looks like you're different from the rumors." Angel muttered.

...

"...As I said, I might fight in the battle against The Gun. This may be the last time we ever meet." Aki said, getting up from the bench. "Take care." Aki said, turning to leave.

"Wait."

Aki turned to face him.

"I do know one way you won't get (Y/N) killed." Angel said.

"What's that?" Aki asked.

"Quit Public Safety and run for it." Angel said. "Save yourself, and go somewhere (Y/N) can't find you. If he chases you, run to the other side of the earth if you have to." Angel said.

"Yeah, sure."

...

"I'm not joking." Angel said. "You aren't like me. You could go anywhere. You could have a normal job, and live like a human being." Angel explained.

...

"I'll pa-"

"You want revenge on the Gun Devil so bad..." Angel muttered. "Wouldn't it be easier to just run off and live happily than to die trying to take down The Gun?" Angel asked.

Aki froze.

"Living happy, keeping the memory of your family alive and well, starting your own and dying of old age... Doesn't that sound like much easier revenge?"

-

EASY REVENGE!

-

Aki gritted his teeth.

"I need to keep them safe. I can't just run off." Aki hissed. "It was just revenge at first... but now I have to protect them... Denji... Power... (Y/N)... Makima...." Aki muttered, lowering his gaze.

...

"Makima?" Angel asked. "Oh... you like her, right?" Angel asked.

"Of course."