Chapter 2

Darius:

I slump down onto one of the sofas in the entertainment room whileOakley, Jeremy and Lee side up to the games.

Jeremy and Lee are two of the guys on the team. Jere is our left forward and Lee our right defender. Oak is right wing, and me?

I'm the fucking center, baby.

We won another game today. And while the rest of the team went out to celebrate, me and these guys wanted a night of peace instead.

I asked Oakley to drop me at the bridge and to just head over here, along with the other two, while I quickly ran an errand.

And back here I am, nursing my bruised ribs with an ice pack while I watch my friends fuck around with a basketball machine.

"You don't wanna play?" Jere looks over and lifts a brow as he spins a little basketball on his forefinger.

"He's just being pissy because he couldn't get a girl to take up his offer earlier today." Oakley grins, aiming for a basket.

"Fuck off." I grumble and hurl a pillow at him, messing up his shot.

He just laughs and picks up another one while Lee swivels his head in my direction. "She said no?"

"It's not that she said no." I roll my eyes. "She didn't even realise I was offering. Girl was completely clueless."

"Damn. Lost your game, D man?"

"Please. I can get any girl in my bed with the snap of my fucking finger. One anomaly doesn't change that."

"Sure about that?" Oak's grin widens.

"She was barely even paying attention. I swear she checked me out for a minute and then completely blanked out."

"Maybe she wanted you to go away."

These fuckers.

I hate to sound vain, I really do. But girls love me.

I've gotten basically every girl at Highgate and honestly? Shit's getting kind of boring.

Not that there's anything wrong with the girls. They're fine. Some much more than. But recently I've been craving something new.

That's why I got slightly disappointed when Bridge Girl wasn't picking up what I was trying to put down. She was pretty. Really pretty even. But the important thing was that she was something different. I've never seen her before. Never met her. And that made her a mystery. That made her enticing.

But it's whatever. I'll fucking live. And I'll continue to do what I've always done. I've got no real problem with it. Still enjoy it. So why would I sit around and sulk about one little unfortunate event?

Answer? I won't.

I fling off the ice, glancing at the reddened flesh from the check I gave today and stand.

"Give me a fucking ball."

I fucking hate Mondays

There isn't a more depressing day than Monday. Or maybe Wednesday has a shot. Anyway, that's besides the point. Mondays are still full of drear and the painful reminder that you now have to suffer through a whole other week of life and boring classes consisting of the same mindless droning on of teachers who look half dead themselves...

That. You see that right there?

That's how you know it's Monday.

Well, that and Oakley is currently doing what he does at the start of every week, telling me stories of what happened on the weekend as if I weren't right fucking there with him when they happened.

I guess it's always good to see things in a different perspective, though.

"... right through the wall. It was fucking insane, Dare."

"I know, dude. I was literally standing right next to you."

"Mr Wilde, if we could cease the inappropriate language, please?" Miss Malloy calls over.

I'm not sure why she keeps saying it. It's almost everyday now. And surely after months of teaching him, she'd grow tired of the repetition.

"My sincerest apologies." He holds a hand to his heart and she merely shakes her head before turning back to her computer.

Not long after, the bell decides to save us all from this hell and send us on our way to another.

To be fair, English isn't too bad. But Miss Delaney told us last week that she'd have an announcement today and I'm not so sure how to feel about that.

Not really a fan of surprises.

We take our seats and wait for her to tell us whatever it is that she has to say.

She's a nice enough person. Middle aged with mousy brown hair and transparent glasses that she wears every so often.

She stands from her desk and clears her throat, gathering the attention of the class.

"Good morning, everyone. I hope you had a good weekend. But unfortunately, it's back to work today. Very hard work, might I add." She picks up the remote for the projector and changes the slide so that it shows a title reading "PARTNERED PROJECT"

Instantaneously, there is a good mixture of cheers and groans sounding from around the room.

"Settle down, I haven't even got to the important parts yet." She laughs lightly and changes the slide again. "As you know, most subjects are shared between upperclassmen. You all are aware that we have a selection of both juniors and seniors in this room. The project will be between one junior and one senior. I have allowed you to choose a topic of your own." She gives Oakley a stern look. "Providing that it's appropriate."

He gives an offended scoff. "When am I ever not the complete picture of innocence, Miss D?"!

She rolls her eyes and picks up a piece of paper from her desks. "I have taken the liberty of deciding on the partnerships myself."

Now, everyone groans.

"Okay." She breathes and begins reading off the names. "John and Esme, Taylor and Clayton, Lee and Amina..."

I zone out until I finally hear my name.

"Darius and Donatella."

Huh?

Who is that?

She finishes reading all of the partners out and then puts down the paper. "Now, I'd like you all to go and sit with your partners, please. Decide on your chosen topic and remember that this assignment is worth half your grade!" She has to yell out that last part as chairs scrape the floor and everyone scrimmages to their new seats.

All but me. I turn my head, trying to find someone that doesn't look taken and then snap my gaze next to my table where a girl stands and has just set her notebook on the now vacant desk.

"Hello." She gives a small smile and slowly, almost tentatively, takes a seat.

Well, well, well.

I might just like surprises after all.