Chapter 30

Donatella:

He said he cares about me. That he doesn't know how or why but that he does.

The memory of it makes me smile.

It makes the little girl in me smile.

It makes my heart beat a little faster and my brain whirl a little quicker.

"That's it!"

I end my routine and finish with a bowing position.

"Yes. You got it. That was great. Just one or two minor changes and it'll be completely flawless." Madame Nguyen, or my auntie Hana, grins.

Breathing hard, I rise, walking over to the long chaise and taking a seat. "Really?"

"Absolutely. That run through was near perfection."

The corners of my mouth turn up at the compliment. "Thank you."

"Hm. Good idea." She hums.

"Huh?"

"I am a phenomenal teacher. You should thank me."

I stop my hands as they reach down to undo my pointe shoes. "You didn't."

"I had to. I couldn't make up any more excuses and I know you don't have a boyfriend and I know that you're busy tomorrow but it is actually tomorrow night so..."

"Oh my god." I lay my head over the high edge. "I have to work on my project tomorrow night."

"You can cancel." She waves off.

"I can't! I've already missed lots."

"It's just one more night. Please?"

"Di Hana." (Auntie Hana)

"con mèo."

I sigh deeply. "tôi có phải?" (Do I have to?)

"No." She says. "bạn không cần phải làm vậy. nhưng làm ơn làm điều đó cho tôi được không?" (You don't have to. But can you please do it for me?)

She offers me a pleading expression. "Hmmm?"

"khỏe." (Fine)

"ừ." (Yay) She squeals.

"Mhm." I remove my pointes and replace them with some black mini UGGs. The ones with the bows on the back. I have the exact same ones in about four colours.

I press my hands atop my baby pink, tight clad legs and massage my tired limbs.

"You've seen him. You know that he's handsome. And I bet it'll be so much fun. I've been waiting for you to get a boyfriend."

"Really?"

"Of course!" She doesn't pick up on the sarcasm. That, or she simply just ignores it. "I want you to have a love story like a dream. You deserve it, little one."

"You think?" I smile.

"I know. You're a hopeless romantic. That just makes it even better."

"How so?"

"It gives the story even more magic." She grins. "Speaking of hopeless romantics, have you spoken to Daci, lately?"

Daciana is my cousin on my mom's side. Her dad is the brother of her and Auntie Hana. She lives over in New York so we don't see each other as often as we'd like but we're still super close.

"Not for a few days, why?"

"Oh, just wondering. I need to head over there for some work. I thought I'd visit while I'm there."