Chapter 59

Donatella:

It feels like a dream. Being with Darius like this, after all this time. After we've cleared the air.

We haven't had the conversation yet, about being boyfriend and girlfriend again. I mean, we're not not boyfriend and girlfriend but I'm pretty sure we're kind of sort of on some faded lens of a break. Even though we still go on dates and do regular couple things like holding hands and him calling me his usual pet names like darling and malyshka, that microscopic bridge between the healing process and the one hundred percent relationship process still must be crossed.

But I feel ready, now. More than ready, really. I truly feel healed and all I want now is to be with him, utterly and completely. And I think he feels the same.

Jeremy certainly does.

"I'm telling you, Clara." He says as we walk through the halls at school, one of his arms slung over my shoulder and the other twirling a pen between his fingers. - Clara, because of my role in The Nutcracker ballet that I've been rehearsing for. Sometimes, he calls me Angeline, too. Not Jolie. The ballerina mouse. These boys and their nicknames. - "The man's madly in love with you. It's only a matter of time before he confesses his undying affection and you run off together on a pink rainbow of bows and glitter and... the laughter of children."

"The laughter of children?" I laugh, more so because when he said it, he got this foggy look in his eyes and faced forwards.

"Oakley tricked me into watching a horror movie. I don't want to talk about it."

"Not a fan?"

"Are you?" He quirks a brow.

"Absolutely not. I hate scary movies."

"Then, you won't judge me for not being manly? In this particular and singular situation?"

"I'd never judge you."

"Thanks, Tells."

You know, when Jere isn't being his normal, domineering, sarcastic self, he's a really big softie.

"Hearst!" We both turn ahead to see Darius walking this way. "Get your hands off my girl." He doesn't shout, but his voice does carry, attracting the attention of every person in the hallway.

Jeremy grins at me, sending me a wink, and then lifts his hands up, as if Dare were a cop.

When we reach each other, he pulls me to him and we begin to walk together.

"What were you guys talking about?"

I'm in the middle of them so I'm able to glance up at Jeremy, who tells me with his eyes that that is to be kept just between us.

I don't really know how much harm Dare could do with that information but a secret is a secret.

"Jeremy said that you're in love with me." I bite my bottom lip and switch my head to look up at Darius, toying with the idea, seeing how he reacts to it.

He blinks slowly, gaze travelling to his friend. "Did he now?"

"Mhm."

"Just admit it, Ford. You're wrapped around her finger."

"I am not." He grumbles, redirecting his focus forward.

Jere elbows me, gesturing with a jut of his chin for me to do something. I'm assuming to prove him wrong. But what? The expression I give him says as such, making him roll his eyes and waving his hand as if to say, anything.

He lowers his head discreetly to my ear after a few seconds. "Ask him what he thought of the cupcakes you made last week when we were at your house."

The week before, Darius, Oakley and Jeremy came over to my house and we hung out for a bit. Them messing around while I finished some homework. An hour or so through, Dare asked me if Angel could join us because he had something he needed to talk to him about. I said yes but to make sure that I wasn't just surrounded by a bunch of guys, he asked him to bring Althea with him and we decided to make cupcakes to pass the time while they did whatever they needed to.