Chapter 58

Donatella:

A few hours later, after a lot more random conversations, quarrels and laughter, we all decide to call it a night.

We all walk to the front entrance and say our goodbyes. The girls hug me and we have a quick but definitive conversation about a shopping day soon, while the boys toss out lovable insults at one another before everyone begins to make their way out of the house and towards their cars.

We're the last ones to exit and just as we turn to leave, Althea's voice stops us, causing us to turn back around.

"Oh, Darius."

"Yeah?" He asks.

She flicks her gaze to me for a split second before returning it to him. "I have an update on that thing."

"What thing?" He frowns.

"Yeah, what thing?" Angel questions from beside her.

Dare's eyes light with recognition. "Oh, that thing. Really?"

"Yep. My phone's upstairs though so I'll tell you about it later."

"What thing?" Angel asks again, glancing between the two of them but instead of answering him, she smacks his arm. He massages the spot with his other hand, muttering a childlike "ow".

"Alright." Dare nods and steps forward to kiss her cheek. "Thanks, Thea. I appreciate it."

"Mhm." She smiles and then beams at me. "I'll see you soon, right?"

Nodding, we embrace in a final hug before Darius takes my hand. "We'll see you guys."

"Bye." They both say at the same time and I nearly grin at their voices as we walk away.

"What were you guys talking about?"

"I already told you about it." She stresses. "Remember? On Thursday?"

"Oh, fuck. That thing."

"Yes. That thing."

"Okay, well, was hitting me really necessary?"

"Yes."

She squeals then, and his laugh is the last thing we can hear before the door closes.

I am also quite curious about what they were talking about but I decide to leave it alone for now.

After helping me into the car, fastening my seatbelt and sliding into the driver's seat, Dare starts the car, turns on the heating, and lays his hand on my thigh, it's routined position.

"Did you have fun?" He asks me as we start to move.

"Mhm." I hum and then stifle a yawn.

"Tired?"

My reply is another yawn.

He chuckles and turns on the Bluetooth, handing me the phone.

"What do you want?" I unlock it and open Spotify.

"We're not doing this again." He rolls his eyes. "I gave it to you so that you can choose."

"I'm just being nice." I mumble and he squeezes my leg.

"Well, stop."

"Stop being nice?"

"That's what I said."

"You want me to be mean?" I laugh lightly.

"Aw, no, you're right." He sighs. "You're not capable of that."