Chapter 39

Donatella:

"Hey, there."

Me, Holland and Iris turn towards the voice that just spoke to us.

"Hello." I say.

"What do you want?" Iris crosses her arms over her chest, staring him down.

"Only one little number." The guy tilts his head. "Or three?"

"Or none." Holland raises a brow.

"The redhead's fiery. Who knew?" He smiles.

"Fuck off." Iris glares. "We want nothing to do with you. You and your little dog pack lost and you can leave now."

"Ouch." He holds a hand to his heart. "Don't you think I deserve a pick me up after that game? I'll settle for two."

"Gross." Holland wrinkles her nose.

"What about you?" He sets his eyes on me. "Clearly you're the only one with sense here. What do you say? I'm barely broken from that little end fall. I could give you a good ride."

End fall?  There was no one who fell... but....oh my god!

"You." My eyes widen. "You tackled my boyfriend."

He pauses before releasing a laugh. "How cute. Even I know Darius Ford doesn't do girlfriends. What? He let you into his bed and now you think you're in love? He's a player. But don't worry, beautiful. I'm nothing like that. I'll give you the night of your life and then-"

"And then, you'll never play hockey again." The guy freezes and turns, revealing Darius, who's looking down at him with a withering stare. "Your NHL dreams will be out the window. You'll have a few broken limbs. Perhaps a broken face. How attached are you to your hands?"

"Yeah, right." The guy scoffs. "You won't do shit to me. For this girl? You know, poor thing thinks you're her boyfriend. I had to break the news. Sorry for losing you one of your bunnies."

Darius just stares at him. He blinks once, then turns his eyes to me, holding out his hand.

"Let's go, baby."

I quickly take it, wanting to get away from this boy as fast as possible.

He pulls me in, kissing my forehead and gesturing for us to start moving. But when we've only taken one step, he speaks again.

"Wait. You're not fucking serious."

We look back at him to see his incredulous expression.

"What? She's actually your girlfriend? Darius Ford has finally been taken off the roster?"

"What about it?" He quirks a brow.

"So you're telling me after almost five years of keeping options, you're giving it up? Seriously? In your senior year? I've never even seen her at a single game before."

I bite my bottom lip, feeling slightly uncomfortable and out of place. This is not making my thoughts about my experience any better.

But still, my body unconsciously moves closer to Darius. He lets go of my hand and instead circles it around my waist, squeezing.

"Well, she's none of your business." He answers easily. "The only thing you and everyone else needs to know is that she's mine. I'm not fucking interested in anyone else. Be a good boy and spread the word to your's, will you?"

And with that, he guides us away.

We reach the exit doors and walk outside, heading to his car.

"Where are we going?" I ask, attempting to push down the butterflies that started swarming when he told that guy that I was his.

I mean, I'm not saying I'm property or anything. Not at all. But I like the idea of belonging to him as a person.

I believe in fate. That things happen for a reason. That there are people who belong together. And that's how I feel about Darius. Despite our past and all that's happened, we've come back to each other. He's my person. And I'm his. I believe it.

He helps me into his car before sliding into the seat beside me and starting the engine. But before he's about to tell me, his phone rings.

We begin to move out of the lot as he answers it.

"What?"

"Plan A or plan B?" Oakley wonders on the other line.

Darius glances at me, seeming to ponder for a moment before coming to a definitive decision. "B."

"For real? Fuck yeah! Wait, is she with you?"

"Yes."

"Bambi!"

"Hi." I can't help but smile at his omnipresent enthusiasm.

"You looked great back there, Winters. Love the number one spirit!"

A blush crosses my cheeks. I was so worried that I would be coming off too strong but another part of me honestly just loves glitter too much to pass it up. And Iris and Holland said that it's perfectly normal. They even did it, too.

"I'm hanging up now." Darius says.

"I'll see you in a bit-" And Oakley gets hung up on.

"Hey." I frown.

"What?"

"That was mean."

"Oh, that was mean?" He mocks remorse.

I huff and shake my head. "So, where are we going?"

"To your house."

"To my house?"

"Mhm."

"Why? I thought you said that you wanted to celebrate. Oh, I didn't even say. Congratulations for winning. Oh, and I saw that guy run you into the wall. Are you okay? Are you hurt?-"

His hand on my thigh stops me from continuing.

"I'm fine. That happens all the time."

"It looked painful."

"It's happened countless times before. I barely feel it anymore."

"Are you-?"

"I'm sure." He says before I finish.

"Okay. So, why are we going to my house?"

"So you can wipe the glitter off of your face and change. I'm sure you wouldn't want it there for any longer than it needs to be."

He's right there. As much as I adore it, I do not want to break out.

"But where are we going?" I emphasise.

He drums the fingers of his other hand on the steering wheel. "There are some people I want you to meet."

A rush of anticipation runs through me.

"Who?"

"My friends."

"Haven't I already met your friends?"

"Different friends." He replies.

And then it hits me. Not his school friends. His childhood friends. I've met them before when we were little. We played together a few times. But whenever I was with Darius, it was mainly just me and him.

"Oh." I swallow.

He squeezes my thigh. "Don't be nervous."

"I'm not nervous."

"Yes, you are. I can feel it. Don't be. They're harmless. And they know not to mess with you. But even if they do, say the word and I'll tell them to piss off."

"Darius."

"What?"

I breathe out a sigh. "Whatever. Where are we meeting them?"

"Just, wear something warm. We're going to be outside."