Chapter 24

Darius:

I got all the information I needed from Jere before we ended the call and I swerved my Lamborghini around, booking it to his current location.

It's a Friday night and there's usually some sort of party. Jeremy told me where it's being held and confirmed that Riley is, in fact, there.

The house belonging to the host, another football player, rests beside a forest owned by his family.

That, paired with the fact that it's pitch fucking dark and there's a loud ass party going on? The perfect cover.

I park further away from all of the other cars and take out my phone.

Jeremy got his number and sent it to me so I bring it up and shoot off a text.

Me
Hey.

He answers in minutes. Stupid fucker.

Riley
Who's this?

Me
It's Donatella.

From earlier today.

I wanted to apologise.

Can you meet me outside?

Riley
Sure thing, doll.

That comment just added him three more minutes of pain.

I put on a pair of black leather gloves and my mask, getting out of the car and making my way into the forest. I'm certain that there are at least a few people hooking up in the shallower parts so I make sure to venture a little deeper than that.

I pick a spot and lean back against a tree.

Riley
I don't see you.

Me
I'm in the forest.

A few more moments tick by.

Riley
I still don't see you

Me
You should go deeper.

Riley
Ohh. I get it.

Yeah. I don't think you do.

I sense movement a few meters away and look up, noticing a body with similar build to his coming this way. When he steps closer, I can see that it is him.

I press a tiny button situated on the bottom right side of the mask to initiate a voice filter. He'll most likely recognise my own and though I could work around that, I really don't have the patience.

"Hey." I call. "You looking for Donatella?"

"Yeah, who-? Yo, what's with the mask? This isn't a Halloween party, freak."

"I guess I didn't get the memo." I reply dryly.

There's a second of awkward silence before he speaks again.

"But anyway, yeah. I'm looking for her. She tell you to lead me or something?"

"Or something."

"Right. So... you going to take me to her?"

I rise from my position on the tree and begin to walk further into the woods.

"Damn." He laughs. "I thought she was a slut but this is next level shit. The fucking woods? She want you there, too? Is that really why you're here? Wait. Is that what the mask is? Is she into kinky shit?"

Ooh. He's giving me some good ideas on how to use these knives.

I stop in a small clearing, the light of the moon shining down like a spotlight into the space, allowing me to see the damage Jere did when I turn to face him.