Chapter 42

Darius:

Just over an hour or so later, we're all ready to head home.

The girls got to talking earlier and they're currently a few feet away, in their own little circle, talking about god knows what. But, it's got her smiling that beautiful smile, so I don't really care too much.

"Hey." Angel clicks in front of my face. "Your friends are over here." He gestures to him and the guys, who I've been engaging in random conversations with.

"Are they?" I ask. "Didn't notice."

"Prick." Luca scoffs.

"Maybe I would have if they didn't tell my girlfriend a story about me that they shouldn't have." I narrow my eyes.

"Embarrassment is a vital step in introducing lovers to friends." Oakley tells.

"Did you just say the word lover?" Madden wrinkles his nose.

"I did."

"Well, don't."

"Why not?"

"Because it's fucking bizarre." Luca deadpans.

"Whatever." Oak waves off. "I bet you just don't like it because you don't have one." He directs at Mads, then pauses. "Or, do you?"

"No." Mads replies simply.

"This one?" Angel just his thumb in Madden's direction. "Yeah, okay."

"Hookups?" Luca offers.

"One night stands?" Angel quirks a brow.

"Dalliances?" I add.

"One hundred percent." Angel concludes. "But lovers? Not a chance."

"Are you done dictating my sex life?" Mads asks.

"For now." I answer.

"Fucking assholes." He sighs.

"Anyway." Angel throws his arm over my shoulder. "Pinkie Pie is adorable. Good job so far in securing her. Don't fuck it up."

"Why would I fuck it up?"

"I'm not saying you will. I'm just saying don't."

"Why don't you take your own advice, smartass." I retort.

"Hey. That was a minor misunderstanding. It's resolved. No harm, no foul."

"Okay." I scoff and we begin to walk over to the girls.

"Gorgeous!" He calls to Althea.

They all look over and he gestures to all of us. "Ready to go?"

The three of them stand, starting to lead the way and descend the staircase.

We follow after them, trailing behind and making sure they remain untouched as a path parts for them and us, while we navigate through the crowds of people.

Usually, one or two of us would stay to ensure everyone leaves and shit stays under control but we've put some trust in a few loyal people to do the job today.

When we all reach our cars, we stand there for a good few minutes, still not finished with whatever it is we've been talking about. But eventually, when we are all done, we say our goodbyes, the girls hug one another and we get inside.

The echos of each of the cars simultaneously turning on could do some serious fucking damage to your eardrums.

That fact is apparent when Tella cringes and covers her ears with her hands.

The sight makes me smile.

I reach a hand over to place on her thigh. Squeezing and then beginning to move.

We ride one after the other out of our track entry point. There's one long road that we all have to scale before going our separate ways and when it's time to do so, both Angel and Oakley roll down their windows, yelling profound farewells into the night. Me, Luca and Madden lower ours, too. Only we give the other two the finger through the space.

Once it's only us on the road, I roll the window back up and return my hand to the steering wheel.

"They were nice." Donatella says.

I look over at her. "Yeah?"

"Mhm. That confrontation part was a little awkward, though."

"Yeah, that was definitely a surprise."

"I'm happy it was a misunderstanding." She halts. "Well, I don't mean that I'm happy that they had a misunderstanding. I just mean that-"

"I know what you mean, sweetheart." I chuckle.

Her cheeks tint pink and I add it to one of my favourite things about her. One of my favourite things in general, really.

"Anyway." She tucks a strand of hair away from her face. "They seemed nice. And Angel was super funny."

Hm.

"You think so?"

"Mhm. He's also kind of scary, though." She admits.

"I get that." I nod. "But trust me, the way you saw him tonight, fun and comedic, sans the miscommunication. That's his natural state. It takes something big to piss him off and that's when he does get scary."

"You're all sort of scary."

"What? Even me?" I furrow my brows.

"Mm. you used to be scarier." She bites her bottom lip. "But not so much anymore."

"How was I scary? I mean, I know I'm no Oakley, but."

"I just thought you were intimidating. You practically keep order at school. You are a lot different than-" She stops, shaking her head. "But you're not scary anymore."

"Good." I respond firmly. "I don't want you to be scared of me."

"What do you want me to be?" Her tone is hesitant. Wondering and low. Like a little innocent lamb who's oblivious to the wolves that lurk outside the fence.

I cast my eyes into hers. Searching for... I don't know what.

As soon as I look at them, it's like my entire fucking world disappears.

"You." I say. "All I want is you."