Chapter 46

Donatella:

After dessert, we moved to the formal living room, where we continued in conversation of various topics, many of which surrounded me. And us.

We're all about done now and we were just informed that my driver is here.

Darius turns to me. "I thought I was taking you home."

"I know." I smile. "But there's no point for you to drive to my house only to come back here."

"Of course there's a point. I like driving you."

I laugh and look to my left when his parents walk into the foyer.

"Donatella." His mother opens her arms to embrace me. "It was so wonderful seeing you in person." She pulls back. "You must return soon. We should have tea."

I nod and she releases one of my hands to smooth her own over the length of my hair before it touches my face.

She used to do that. Stroke my hair and my cheek. She used to pay attention and care to me whenever the other kids were around because, like now, I was a shy child and I never really got involved with playing with the others.

That's how it happened, actually.

My mom was worried because I didn't have any friends and when Darius's fifth birthday invitations made their way around first grade and it was one of the many others I refused to attend, she had no other choice but to at least try it.

And so I went, in my princess ballerina costume, as it was a dress up party and I was already very set on taking up ballet. She stayed with me for a while but at some point, she got a call and needed to run out for a bit.

I was distraught. I hid out beneath one of the marble staircases while the party went on outside. I was hidden by stacks of wrapped, boxed gifts and sat on a velvet pillow while I braided the pink ribbons of my sparkly staff. Once I had created a single braid, undone it and repeated this several times, I frowned and set it down. Looking around, I spotted a certain box. My gift. I could just take out what I got for him and put it back, right?

Standing up, I walked over and picked it up before returning to the velvet pillow and sitting back down. Removing the lid, I surveyed the contents within.

Just the last week, I had overheard Darius talking to his friends about what he wanted for his birthday.

"What do you want?" Lucas asked, as they sat at a table in the back of our classroom.

"I don't know." Darius shrugged.

"Yes you do." Angel argued. "You always know everything you want."

"Tell us." Madden says.

"I want lots of things."

"Like what?" Oakley urges.

"Like... a lLightning McQueen car."

"That's so cool." Oakley grins.

"Or a Lamborghini."

"Ferraris are way better." Lucas shakes his head.

"It's not your birthday." Darius mocks.

"Whatever. What else?"

"A big sword. A real one. Or... a tree house."

"A tree house?" Angel wonders.