Chaoter 29

Darius:

Once arrived home, I immediately head to the kitchen.

Walking in, I spot my parents at one end, mugs in hand and very different expressions marring each of their faces.

My father's, defeated.

My mother's, thunderous.

Well, that is, until she turns to me.

"Darius. You're home. Come here, my love."

I do, making my way to them. She sets down her cup and wraps her arms around my middle, pulling me in for a hug.

Aw, shit.

What the fuck has he done, this time?

I shoot dad a look that says as much but he just clears his throat and averts his eyes to the flowers over on the closest island.

"Oh, Львенок." (Little lion) She releases my torso and covers my cheeks with her hands. "My perfect boy. You would never eat my ice cream, would you?"

"Are you fucking serious?" I instantaneously glare at dad. "Did you not learn?"

"It was honeycomb!" He stresses. "I left the mint chocolate!"

"She hates mint chocolate." I respond the same time my mother does. "I hate mint chocolate."

The utter baffled expression on my father's face is unmistakable. "But- I- You-"

"Is it really so hard to remember my Ice cream preferences, Miles?"

"Mol, you said just the other day that-"

"And am I not allowed to change my mind?"

"No, that's not what I-"

"No?"

"Shit, Molly, honey-"

"And now you're swearing at me? You ate my ice cream and now you're cursing at me?"

"Can you fucking pull yourself together." I tell him.

"I'm trying."

"Well, try harder."

He shakes his head. "Sweetheart." He holds up his hands as if she's a wild animal about to attack at any given moment. "I'm sorry. Just, tell me what I can do to make it better."

She closes her eyes briefly before reopening them. "Go and get me more ice cream."

"Of course. I'll have one of the maids-"

"No." She interrupts him. "You."

"What?"

"I want you to get it."

"You want.. me to get it."

"Have you lost the ability to understand simple English, Miles?"

"No. No, of course not. Whatever you want. I'll leave right now." He brandishes his keys as though for proof before speed walking out of the kitchen.

It isn't until the noise of the front door closing reaches our ears, that mom lets loose a smile and turns to me.

"Wasn't that fun?"

"That isn't exactly the first word that comes to mind. Don't you think he'll catch on, soon?"

"Catch onto what? It's not like I'm lying. Just exaggerating my feelings a little."

"A little?" I raise a brow.

"Even less." She grins.

"Hm." I huff out a laugh and give her head a quick kiss as I pass her and open the dessert freezer, pulling out a tub of strawberry cheesecake ice cream, bringing it back over to my mother, who now, holds two spoons, waiting.