16 - Bloody Nose

Autumn Carrow wandered the hallways of Hogwarts alone, always conscious of her mothers escape. In fact since her fathers admission two weeks prior she had always been on edge, not that she'd told anyone what happened while meeting with her father.

She had made up some rubbish about buying more jewellery and being told off, something that somewhat explained her bruised face which had calmed itself down since.

The idea of her father leaving a mark over something like that hadn't seemed unusual to Draco, Pansy, Daphne nor Blaise.

She had been making her way to the courtyard of the castle, hoping to get some alone time.

She had been babied by her friends recently after her visit, she appreciated that they cared of course but it had gotten to be too much. She just wanted to relish in her own thoughts. The front court yard would be an excellent place to do so, it was a Friday and everyone would be busy partying and whatnot.

She would be alone.

It was near Christmas time now and the sky had darkened even if it was only 4pm.

Walking out and feeling the cool breeze she sucked in a breath, walking around the trees to the wooden bench which she planned to sit on.

Stopping abruptly as the bench came into view, "oh" the word slipped out gaining the attention of the boy sitting alone, looking down at his feet. Watching him quickly shuffle to sit up and paint a smile on his face.

"Autumn, I can head out, I was just uh-" the boy scratched the back of his neck, "I didn't realise you-"

Autumn stepped toward the bench, "it's quite alright Neville, I'm just happy to see you're not one of those pesky Slytherin's who've been tracking my every move" she smiled referring to her friends watching the boys face screw up as she spoke, "May I sit?" She nodded down to the empty spot beside him.

Neville slid over to the wooden arm of the bench to make room, far more room than what was necessary, he'd left practically two thirds of the bench.

"Of course!" He smiled up at her, confused at her statement, not her kindest.

Autumn had been kind to Neville before, not that anyone knew much of it, in fact it was back in their fourth year after Mad Eye had forced him to sit through the three Unforgivable Curses, she'd seen how upset he had been and sat in this exact spot with him after noticing some of the other older Gryffindors picking fun at the rumours that had spread of Neville crying and other exaggerations. He hadn't really cried an awful lot in the class but he had certainly let out a few tears while sitting alone in this very bench. Autumn had came up to him, expecting her to make fun of him he was surprised when she'd asked if he was alright. So surprised he sat in silence with his mouth agape for 42 seconds. She had explained to him how they frightened her too and that she didn't enjoy watching the helpless animal being tortured. He had recalled asking her how she seemed so calm in that class if that had been the case, she explained to him how he could to some extend hide how he felt when necessary. When he'd told her he wished he could hide a lot more than just his feelings she'd told him off, told him she thought he was great, though if he told anyone of her kindness it ruin her reputation which was partly a joke, even if it wasn't entirely.

She sat down on the bench and relaxed her body while Neville pondered what he could possibly say, unsure what was wrong but knowing she was stressed or upset. Something of that sort.

"Are you alright?" His words made him smile, knowing that was exactly what she'd said to him the first time they'd spoken.

She let out a sigh and looked his way, "you don't even know the half of it Neville"