32 - Marriage

Autumn Carrow had been knocked out for hours on end now, meanwhile George stayed with her all through the night despite being told to get some sleep and Draco Malfoy had been with him up until about two hours ago when George told him to go get some rest, that he'd stay with Autumn and send Fred round if there was any change.

In the past two hours since Draco had finally agreed to go George had been practically begging her to wake up. He had wrapped her hand in both of his while listening to her breathing. Madame Pomfrey had returned early that morning and scolded him for still being there, though it meant she could have some rest.

Someone awkwardly clearing their throat from behind disturbed George who had almost fallen asleep in his chair. Though he had been thankful to have been woken just in case he missed Autumn waking up.

"Neville?" George blinked a few times in an attempt to waken himself up more.

The boy walked around the bed to sit on the other side of Autumn staring down at the girl who simply looked as though she is having a good sleep.

"I'm sorry George" Neville's apology hadn't been like you'd expect, he wasn't saying sorry for George's pain like one would whenever someone dies or is injured, he was apologising because he blamed himself, "this all started because she'd stuck up for me"

Neville hadn't slept that night, when Lee had mentioned that Autumn was in the medical unit, even with the little detail given, Neville couldn't stop from thinking about what she'd done for him. Perhaps if she'd allowed Pucey to act how he always had and belittle Neville, if she hadn't stepped in because he couldn't handle himself, even if he hadn't bothered her when he seen her sat on that bench, this wouldn't have happened.

"I'll be honest with you Neville" George heaved, "if anyone is to blame for this, it's me"

It had been true in a way, Autumn had known that too. If she hadn't have fallen for George then she'd continue living the shitty life her father had given her, even if her mother had appeared she'd more than likely have turned her away in some attempt to prove herself to her father. The man who had shown her his true colours now.

The pair sat in silence for a moment just looking down at the girl who looked so peaceful when ironically this was anything but peaceful.

"Is she dead?" Neville whispered to himself.

"Jesus Neville don't be so bloody morbid" George almost laughed knowing that Autumn would've.

"Sorry" Neville immediately blurted out, "I never know what to say for this sort of thing" he twiddled his thumbs, "when my grandad died, I didn't realise he was totally dead until I spoke to my granny" he shivered at the thought, "but Autumns not dead"

The booming voice Neville knew from his nightmares answered before George could, "she is not dead Mr Longbottom, if she were dead, she would not be breathing" drawing out his sentence.

Severus Snape stood tall in black just beside the white curtains, George could've sworn he heard Neville swallow the lump in his throat at the sight of him. Something that eventually had Neville stand up before squeezing Autumn's hand and giving George a nod goodbye as he exited the wing. Only leaving George with Snape, he couldn't imagine a more awkward pair.

Snape wandered around to the opposing side where neville had been, his cloak flowing behind him as he strode.

"Has she woken yet?" He didn't meet the redheads eyes, only stared down at Autumn. He couldn't help but feel this overwhelming guilt, at least since Remus Lupin had subtly dropped in the memo of what happened to Minerva, fully aware that Severus would overhear. He of course couldn't have known if Snape's visit to the Carrow residence while Autumn had been there, or at least, George wouldn't have known.