Haq

Something woke her up. Shehnaaz blinked sleepily and looked around. She was sitting by the open window with a warm support at her back. Someone snored. Shehnaaz gasped as the haze lifted from her brain. Sidharth had been sitting with her when she had dozed off. Carefully she turned her neck to look at him.

He had turned to lean his head awkwardly on her shoulder. Another snore, a longer one this time, made her smile. Sidharth looked so peaceful that she didn't dare make any sudden movements. But Shehnaaz worried that he would develop a crick in his neck if he slept that way. Slowly, very slowly, she put a hand beneath his head and turned her body to face him. He made a muffled sound and moved an arm. Within two seconds, Shehnaaz found her lap occupied by the snoring man. His right hand found her hip and held on as he made himself comfortable with her as his pillow. 

Shehnaaz gulped. Hey Waheguru, ab kaa karein? 

Shehnaaz wriggled a bit to make herself comfortable. Sidharth turned and pushed his face into her stomach. She stifled the flutter in her belly, trying to stay casual. A flush was slowly spread over her face like the rush of first spring. Shehnaaz gazed at his rumpled form for a minute, tracing the ridges and furrows that made his face so unforgettable to her. Then very softly, her fingers dug into his hair. Shehnaaz stroked once and then again and then set herself into a slow rhythm. 

He was an item number, she jokingly thought.

Then a new feeling made her curl a little around him protectively. He had almost died trying to save her. From now on she would make sure he didn't do such stupidity ever again. Sanki Akdu Shukla , she grumbled in her head and then stroked his head more firmly. Sidharth awoke to the wonderful feeling of warm fingers on his temple. Dark eyes opened to the vision of his jungli watching the full moon outside as she calmly sat with him in her care. Soft moonshine made her glow like an ethereal spirit and Sidharth let's himself bask in her presence for a moment.

Shehnaaz looked down suddenly and found warm brown eyes staring at her quietly. She coloured in embarrassment but hesitated to move away from him. Sidharth stayed right where fate had settled him, his right arm slowly curling about her hip more firmly. 

"Stay," he whispered.

Her heart skipped a beat. Sidharth lifted his left arm to grasp a tendril of her long hair and twined it about his fingers. A new awareness unfurled inside her even as she leaned down slightly to allow him to play with her hair.

This man was her husband. She was Shehnaaz Sidharth Shukla and she had finally chosen to be his wife. He was Sidharth Ashok Shukla and he had accepted her as if Shehnaaz had every right to be here. Here, beside him, like this, as husband and wife. Trust and rights offered with no questions asked.

Involuntarily, her fingers slid down to cup his cheek. The rough stubble pricked her palm, a curiously new feeling she tucked away for later thought. They stayed that way, physically accepting of each other's presence as if they had been doing so for years. That it felt as natural as breathing was not lost on either of them.

"You smell like jasmine," Sidharth remarked casually. "It lingers everywhere when you're not with me."
"It's just soap," Shehnaaz murmured shyly. This was different and she wanted more of whatever this was. But this was ABP, she knew. He came with locked doors and bolted windows to boot. 

"This is cheating!" Sidharth raised an eyebrow in question. Shehnaaz narrowed her eyes suspiciously. "If you suddenly become Khulla Darwaza, I will think you are someone else."

He smirked and pulled at her lock of hair lightly. "You opened the doors yourself and walked in this time. Jungli kahin ki!"

Sidharth pulled again at her hair and she bent a little more towards him. It wasn't her fault. Shehnaaz was transfixed by the boyish mischief in his eyes. Her hair fell over his face and he tangled more of them in his hand. Then his gaze turned serious on her.
"I'll keep my door open only for you. Agar tum chaho toh andar aa sakti ho. Tumhe haq hai." Her lips quivered and her eyes glistened. Sidharth winced as her fingers touched a tender bruise. She cupped his cheek fully this time.

"You are not allowed to get hurt again," Shehnaaz said firmly...

"I want you in one piece, alive. Yeh bhi mera haq hai."

"You are not allowed to cut my call or run alone into danger. Yeh mera haq hai," Sidharth shot back.

"You can't give udhaar to me ever again. Yeh haq nahin hai toh ka," Shehnaaz muttered petulantly. Sidharth let's out a deep chuckle and slid his hand to the back of her head and pulled her down until he could feel her breath on his face. His voice turned into a low purr. "Udhaar toh dunga. Tum kya kar logi?"

Surprising him, Shehnaaz rubbed their noses together. Sidharth lost all train of thought as his wife proceeded to rub her nose over his cheek and up the side of his temple. He forgot to breath by the time her mouth was at his ear. 

Shehnaaz felt as if she was flying high on the freedom of her choice. She was a wife and this was her husband. She would do as she pleased with him and no one was going to get in her way.

 "I am Shehnaaz Ashok Shukla," she whispered to him even as he let out a shudder.

"Kuch na kuch toh zaroor karlenge.....patidev!"

In the next instance, Mrs. Shukla found herself flipped until she was lying on her back with her husband leaning over her. His eyes were dilated in want and it lit a fire beneath her own skin. But Sidharth hesitated and made to pull back, trying his best to reign in whatever she had unleashed inside him. 

His struggle ended when she pulled him to her abruptly by a strong pull on his arm. They ended up hugging each other with his face tucked into her neck and her hand holding him to herself. 

"Haq hai. Hum dono ko," said his wife bravely. Sidharth nodded into her neck, his lips rubbing into her skin and sending her stomach into a somersault. Slowly, he laid a tender kiss on her skin. It was her turn to shudder. 

The second kiss fell on her chin. It felt like wings of a butterfly were fluttering against her. The next kiss was firmer on her cheek. The next was on her ear. Shehnaaz let's out a soft moan of desire and clutched at his arms. He nuzzled her ear before laying another kiss to her hair. He couldn't seem to stop himself. 

They stayed in each other's arms for a long while. Shehnaaz forgot everything else but the feel of his soft kisses and he was content to simply have this new intimacy with her. Sidharth wasn't in any rush anymore. She unfurled so prettily in his embrace, like a slumbering flower awakening to the first kiss of morning dew. He wanted to cherish every little step of this new path. 

They would have to talk. They would also eventually argue. Sidharth would retreat sometimes and she would go crazy at other times. But that was a life they had chosen. And that very thought made them inexplicably happy.

Eventually they ended up with him on his back and her on his chest. His fingers splayed her hair all over himself as she snuggled into him and let out a sleepy yawn. 

He patted her head. "Sleep, wifey." 

Shehnaaz laid a hand over his heart. "You too, patidev."

The moonlight crept over the two sleeping bodies like the softest blessing of a very pleased divine goddess above.