Chapter 39

Once the two wolves made it past the sign for route nine, Waverly attempted to search for the truck again but this time, she couldn't see anything at all.

Just darkness.

"Shit." The shapeshifter muttered, slowing down.

"What?" Willa questioned, panting heavily. "What is it?"

She was fixated on finding Wyatt.

Waverly sighed, mentally slapping herself. "I don't know where they went."

Willa groaned. "Are you serious?"

She nodded. "Yeah, I lost them."

"What good are tracking powers, if they don't work?" The werewolf spit, angered by her sudden lack of help.

Waverly wiped her hands down her face. "I'm sorry."

She sighed. "Whatever, it's fine, there's only one way they could've gone anyway."

"There is?"

Willa nodded and pointed ahead. "Straight."

Waverly looked forward, realizing that the werewolf was right.. there was literally only one way to go.

"Right.. straight."

Willa laughed and nudged the shapeshifter's arm. "Come on."

They began sprinting again.

* * *

Waverly had been trailing the werewolf for about ten minutes until two bright lights appeared in the middle of street.

The same lights she had seen earlier in her vision of the truck.

They had finally found route nine.

"Is that it?" Willa asked, practically wheezing for air.

Her powers were still adjusting after the moonstone was recharged.

"Yes." Waverly said, breathing out a relived sigh. "That's him."

"Great." Willa huffed.

Before she could react, the alpha sprinted past her.

"Wait!" Waverly shouted, concerned for what type of warding Matthew had put on the truck.

If her shapeshifter powers were blocked from it, there was no telling what else was.

Willa leapt into the air, headed straight for the roof of the vehicle.

"Willa!" Waverly announced, mistakenly giving away her lotion.

As soon as the hunter's heard her warning, the truck swerved, speeding up.

Waverly froze as Willa's hand grazed the top of the vehicle.

Almost immediately, she was thrown backwards by an explosion of light.

"Willa!" Waverly yelled once more, watching as she was hurled into the woods.

She decided not to go after her since last time the shapeshifter searched the trees for her, it took a while.

They didn't have that kind of time.

Waverly continued running after the truck.

Luckily, no human-made vehicle was faster than a werewolf.

She quickly transformed, hoping the affects of the warding wouldn't be as intensified if her identity were shielded.

But then again, it would still sense her power.