Chapter 62

Waverly was standing up on the roof of the den with her eyes closed. She had her palms facing the forest, focusing her energy on, what was left, of the trees.

The walk back to the den was one of the hardest things she had ever done.

Addison and the flesh eaters had gone ahead of them and made their way back to Seabrook, while their damaged pack made the ten minute journey back to their home. It felt like an eternity.

On the way, they passed at least five fallen werewolves. Waverly held her breath every time she passed a body, unable to rip her focus away.

There was too much bloodshed in the forest...Waverly felt like everything was painted red.

The shapeshifter sucked in a breath, struggling to keep the images of her beaten pack-mates out of her mind.

"Waverly!" Willa shouted from below. "You alright?"

Waverly didn't respond. Partly because she didn't want to lose focus, and because she didn't know what to say. She was not alright. No one was. What kind of question is that?

Willa was counting on her to find the rest of their decrepit pack while the rest of the wolves were being treated by Wendy and Willow in the den.

On the way back, everyone saw up close how much damage Waverly's powers had done to their home. No one said a word the entire walk back because of their injuries, and the things they witnessed.

Waverly was overwhelmed with grief and guilt. The entire forest floor was covered in ash from the burnt stumps of the trees above. There was barely a single leaf that had survived her wrath.

"Waverly—" Willa began.

"Give me a second!" Waverly gasped, ignoring the fact that her voice trembled with every word.

She was trying so hard not to lose it.

The shapeshifter swung her hands forward, allowing her powers to slip out for a second. Goosebumps crawled up Waverly's arms as blue energy burst from her palms.

For some reason, ever since her episode with Wyatt, her powers haven't been their usual translucent color. Instead, now they were a strange bright blue. She decided not to question it. Not right now anyway.

The blast shot through the woods, allowing her to pick up any movement or noise the energy passed. Waverly could hear a couple faint heartbeats and breathing, but not as much as she would have liked.

"We need to move." She said, eyes snapping open.

Willa was standing below her, at the entrance to the den. She looked tiny to Waverly. The tallest point of the den was about twenty feet away from the ground.

"How many survivors?" The alpha questioned.

"Not as many as I'd like." Waverly muttered, moving to the side of the den.

Getting up was easy, it was the getting off of the roof that always fucked her up. But she knew she didn't have time to worry about that.

Waverly slid off of the den, the heels of her boots scraping against the harsh edge of the rock. Once she was close to the bottom, she leapt off, landing with her hands on the ground.