Chapter 57

As Waverly sank her teeth into the side of the hunter, she caught a glimpse of some bright green light out of the corner of her eye.

The shapeshifter second-guessed herself because her senses were overloaded from the sounds of fighting and the smell of blood, but she soon realized that something was undoubtedly glowing behind her.

She pulled her muzzle away from the human in her grasp, taking in a breath. Blood dripped from the corners of her mouth as she turned to head to find the source of the light. The hunter beneath her cried out, pressing his hands down on the bite.

Waverly's head snapped around, her slitted pupils landing on Wyatt. He was still sitting beside Willa, his head down, but the shapeshifter could see something glowing green—she paused. His eyes. His eyes were glowing green.

She saw him retract his claws. The werewolf lifted his head, eyes blaring an eerie emerald. There was no emotion in his expression. He almost looked...bored.

Willa hadn't noticed her brother's sudden change in behavior, she was too focused on the necklace in her hand. Wyatt raised his arm in the air, preparing to slice the alpha's throat.

Waverly leapt into the air, rushing towards the Lykensen siblings. She tackled Wyatt to the ground, pinning his arms down underneath her large gray paws. He didn't even try to struggle.

"Waverly," Willa sniffed, finally taking her eyes off of Miss Lykensen's moonstone. "What the hell are you doing?"

Wyatt stared up at the shapeshifter with hollow eyes, as if he wasn't even inside of his body. Maybe he wasn't. Waverly had no idea how Matthew's mind-numbing shit worked. All she knew was that it was controlled by a device. She needed to find that device.

She could see her own reflection in his irises. Blood was smeared all across her face, staining each of her canines. She looked like a monster. Good.

Waverly transformed back into her human form, hovering over Wyatt, still firmly pressing his wrists into the dirt. He just laid there, gazing up at her with two dull, ominous green irises. All she could think about was William.

Was this why Wyatt had been acting so strange, why he was so afraid to touch her? Because he knew he could have hurt her? William was barely able to control himself when Matthew was fucking with his mind—was this the same thing?

"What's happening?" Willa questioned, her dark eyes glued to Wyatt.

"Matthew." Waverly seethed.

"I thought Matthew was dead?" The alpha muttered. "You said you killed—"

"His mind control," The shapeshifter interrupted, tightly clenching her jaw. "Someone is using it on him."

Willa shook her head. "Are you sure?"

Before Waverly could convince her, Wyatt kicked his foot out, pounding it against her chest. She was thrown backwards, hard, as if she weighed nothing to him. The werewolf was on his feet in seconds, teeth bared.

Willa scrambled backwards, horrified by the thought of her own brother turning on them. How were they supposed to fight one of their own without hurting him, if he was intentionally trying to harm them?

"Wyatt!" Waverly announced, ripping his attention away from his sister.

The remaining hunters were thrown to the ground, some dead and the rest bleeding profusely. Willow, Winston, Zane, Wynter, and the other wolves were all standing over the bodies, panting heavily. Their arms and faces were soaked in blood, but they were still standing.

Everyone was still standing.

"Snap out of it." The shapeshifter begged, taking a step closer to Wyatt.