Chapter 60

Waverly almost flinched by the sound of her own voice. It echoed through the forest like some kind of alarm.

"Stop!" A voice cried out, confusing her further.

The shapeshifter dropped her arms and everything slowly came back into view.

The damaged dystopian version of what was once a beautiful forest, Willa standing behind her like a statue of hope, Miss Lyksensen alive and thriving without a moonstone...somehow, and Wyatt.

Wyatt and his gorgeous features that were being polluted by Hadley's mind-control. His short, dark messy hair, the blonde strip of bangs that hung over his thick eyebrows, the way his cheekbones perfectly sculpted his face.

Now he was hunched over on his knees with his hands pressed down on either sides of his head.

"Stop!" He screamed.

Waverly watched as he squeezed his eyes shut, shielding them from the sight of the hideous green color drawn over his brown pupils. He was shaking violently, like he was trying to escape something inside of his mind...or get something out.

"Wyatt—" The shapeshifter began, turning her body away from Hadley, and over to him.

"Stop, stop!" He continued, breathing heavy and quick.

Miss Lyksensen was still at his side, but she seemed hesitant to comfort him. Willa was standing a few feet away from Waverly with a terrified look on her face. Terrified for him.

Wyatt's hands slid from his ears, over his face. His forehead was slick with sweat, so much so that his hair had become stuck to it. Waverly didn't know what to do with herself as she watched. How was she supposed to help him?

"Stop, please!" Wyatt begged, still on his knees.

Waverly spun around. Hadley was still where she had been a moment ago. The hybrid hadn't moved an inch.

"Please," Waverly whispered, bending down to the girls level. "Help him."

Hadley just stared into the abyss, her expression as still as ever.

Waverly groaned, wiping her blood-stained hands down her face. What where they doing?

"You." The hybrid spoke, grabbing her attention fast.

The girls voice was special. It was high-pitched, but soothing at the same time. Waverly could feel it flooding through every crevice in her brain.

Hadley was looking up at her now. Even though her eyes were devoid of life, Waverly could've sworn she saw a sliver of worry in them.

"Me?" Waverly said questioningly.

Hadley nodded her head, then shifted her focus over to the tortured werewolf.

Waverly paused for a second. Did that mean only she could help him? Why wouldn't Hadley be able to...didn't she do this? Maybe she didn't know how to control it. But neither did Waverly.

The shapeshifter cleared her throat and began walking towards Wyatt. Miss Lykensen spared her a curious look before sliding out of her way.

"Wyatt." Waverly said softly, kneeling down beside him.

He was practically hyperventilating as he sat there with his hands over his face. What kind of war could possibly be going on in his mind right now? Whatever it was, she was determined to stop it.

Waverly gently grabbed both of his wrists and moved his palms away from his face. He kept his eyes closed as she attempted to help. Probably for the best, because whenever he seemed to spot her, Hadley's influence took over.