Chapter 63

Dale's eyes shot over to the werewolf. "Hadley? I'm not familiar with that name."

Waverly took a small step back, quickly transforming back into her human-form. She figured being a wolf wasn't really beneficial since the humans wouldn't understand a word she was saying.

"Why would you be?" The shapeshifter asked as her arms and legs snapped back into place.

Dale looked even more shocked. "Holy shit."

"Yeah, yeah. Answer my question."

He hesitated for a moment then cleared his throat. "My co-workeres and I made a list of all of the werewolves in Seabrook when you first came. I just wanted to be prepared incase..."

"We attacked you?" Willa finished for him.

"Yeah."

Waverly rolled her eyes. "Please, we would never waste our energy on you."

Dale nodded. "Alright, well I know you think our species is below yours-"

"We don't think of you." Waverly interrupted.

"Well...yes...but you did just kill about one hundred of us, so you may want to hear me out."

Winston shook his head. "Definitely not the same thing. We did not kill any of you, we killed Matthew's army."

Willa scratched at the dried blood on her hands. "He's right, humans and hunters are not the same thing, Dale. Don't insult yourself like that."

The human stared at them, his eyes somewhat wide. Waverly just sighed. They didn't have time for this.

"Alright. I think we're getting off track here. As the mayors husband, I am prepared to cover this up." Dale explained.

Waverly shook her head. "Why would you do that for us? You don't even seem horrified by the fact that we—"

"Because Matthew did the same. I may be a human, and we may have laws, but I do agree with an eye for an eye." Dale went on, earning confused glanced from the three wolves.

"Eye for an eye..." He repeated. "Revenge?"

"Oh," Willa coughed. "You surprise me. I didn't know revenge was even in your vocabulary."

"Well, I'm not afraid of breaking some rules." The man said, folding his arms across his chest.

"Sir," A blonde worker muttered, stepping forward. "Are you sure this is a good id—"

"No, it's not, Buckley." Dale interrupted. "But the werewolves are citizens of Seabrook. We will protect them, as they are just like us."

Waverly's eyes flashed. She beamed at his words. They were citizens of Seabrook, the first actually.

"If the werewolves promise to never do this again, and keep your claws and teeth to yourselves...then my crew and I will take care of this." Dale offered, holding his right arm out. "Do we have a deal?"

Willa stared at his open hand. "We do." She shook it.

The man nodded. "Great. Head back to town and we'll clean this mess up—"

"We cannot." The alpha argued. "There are some of our own out here. We need to find them."

Waverly cleared her throat, gaining everyone's attention. "And William...he's out here too."

Dale hesitated. "And Matthew? Is he out here?"

The shapeshifter swallowed dryly. "Yes...but he won't be an issue."