Chapter 40

Once Waverly made it back to Seabrook, she carried the creature into her shared zombie rental house, with the help of Willa, of course.

The alpha was hesitant at first, but eventually agreed after coming to the conclusion that Waverly wouldn't leave without it.

"In here." Waverly said, nudging her head towards Willow's room.

"Are you crazy?" Willa whispered, coming to a stop. "We can't get anyone else involved in this."

The chains tied around the shapeshifter clanged together, making an obnoxiously loud noise.

Waverly sighed. "Well, we can either leave it outside for the whole world to see, or we put the wolf in here."

Willa frowned, contemplating their options. "Fine, whatever."

The shapeshifter smiled smugly, walking into Willow's room.

Luckily, she would be out with Winston all night because of his dinner.

Sure, he would be quite upset that Waverly never showed up, but she had a pretty good excuse.

They carefully placed the wolf down onto Willow's bed.

Willa immediately rushed over to the door, becoming more paranoid than ever.

"Would you relax?" Waverly said, glaring at her. "You're inability to lie is going to get us caught."

"I can lie." The alpha spit, rubbing the back of her neck anxiously. "Just not well.."

The shapeshifter rolled her eyes and turned back around to further examine the wolf.

The shifter was about double her size with icy-grey fur and two dark spots which circled around the creatures eyes almost like eyeliner. 

It was still unconscious, breathing steadily.

Whatever Matthew had drugged the animal with, must be strong enough to take out an entire pack of wolves.

Taking down a shapeshifter with human-made sedation is nearly impossible.

The wolf had a long stripe along its back, emitting some kind of faint purple light.

Whoever this was, they had to be extremely powerful.

"Are you done?" Willa asked, her voice laced with anger. "We don't have time for you to dissect this thing."

"And what else do you suppose we do?" Waverly muttered, huffing out a sigh.

"Oh, I don't know, maybe we should go continue looking for Wyatt. You know, my brother who's done everything for you." The alpha went on, folding her arms over her chest. "And I have to ready the pack for additional preparations."

"You're still not done with that yet?" Waverly questioned, still studying the wolf.

"Of course not, but thanks to you I have to make a new plan without Wyatt." Willa went on, practically growling.

"Are you saying it's my fault he's gone?" Waverly questioned, finally turning around.

She didn't respond.

The shapeshifter sighed. "Look, I want to go look for Wyatt more than anyone. But right now, the only chance we've got at finding him is the wolf."

"The wolf?" Willa repeated her words. "We don't even know if it is really a shapeshifter like you, Waverly. What if we just invited a weapon into Seabrook?"

Waverly shrugged. "We won't know until it wakes up."

The alpha seethed. "Since when is my brother not top priority for you, Waverly?"