Chapter 1

Ezra's POV

Nevermore was huge. You could easily get lost there without even intending to. I sighed. If only you were still here with me Elliot. We could've gone through this hellish year together. But he's not here anymore.

I'm all alone.

"HEY THERE!" Someone chirped. I turned around, ever so calmly only to find a girl with the biggest grin on her face. She was not too short, but still shorter than me. Bright blue eyes, blonde hair with colorful streaks, pink and blue, that reached just above her shoulders, and have I mentioned a smile so blinding? And I don't mean it in a nice way. I just looked at her with a confused expression. She kept smiling.

"I'm Enid! You must be the new student, Ezra Marshall. I heard so much about you!"

I raised an eyebrow at her and gave her a quizzical look. Huh! Like what?

"Such as?" She giggled and I felt the inner urge to rip her face apart. She was literally WAY TOO happy for me. I hate that, especially this early in the morning.

"Like... About your powers. And how you're the only one in the family who has them." I smirked. That Enid-chick dove into the family files. I crossed my arms.

"You've done some research, I see. How about I tell you that the ghost behind you is figuring out ways to shove his finger up your ear."

"WHAT?!" She screamed while snapping her head back. I smiled.

"Relax, he's harmless." She sighed in relief. "...Or is he?" I added with a wink. Enid gulped. Not going to lie to you, seeing her so flustered is priceless.

"Anyway..." She said awkwardly. "Since you can obviously talk to the dead, as I already know, I would like you to kindly ask them to not mess with me." I chuckled and took a step closer to her.

"If anything darling, I will BEG them to keep messing with you until you absolutely lose your shit. See ya!" I waved goodbye and turned around, grabbing my luggage.

"WAIT!" She called. I huffed in annoyance and turned around, hoping my poker face would be a clear sign to tell her to piss the fuck off.

"What do you want?" Her smile faltered. I didn't even feel bad. She started playing with her fingers without looking at me.

"I was supposed to show you around school." I scoffed.

"Yeah... Not going to happen, I can manage without you." She opened her mouth, maybe she was about to reply but I had already turned around.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was walking around the school, and I hate to admit that I got lost in the huge hallways and the big ass garden. I closed my eyes and focused on using my ability. Maybe the ghosts will help me. A girl appeared in front of me, looking down as ever, as all ghosts do.

"Help me out, Selena. How can I find my way here?" I asked. She sighed, an expression of sorrow etching itself on her face.

"It's been 80 years..." She hummed sadly.

"Yeah... Sure... but I didn't ask." I retorted. She glared at me before disappearing.

"Fucking hell..." I mumbled under my breath.

"It seems like you're so desperate for help that you summoned a ghost to help you." Enid was right behind me, her hands behind her back, a cheeky smile on her face.

"Oh, piss off, will you?" I grumbled while walking away.

"Why are you so mean?" She whimpered and I swear she almost sounded like a dog.

"Why are you so fucking clingy? I told you: Piss. Off. Two words only, very easy to understand!" I said with the fakest smile I could pull. She frowned then shook her head. Suddenly, she grinned. Is this girl bipolar or something?

"I understand! Have a good day!" She started skipping the other way. I narrowed my eyes. Who the fuck is happy enough to skip around a gloomy ass school like Nevermore?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had finally found the principal's office: Miss Larissa Weems. I heard she was a shapeshifter. That's dope. I knocked on the door softly.

"Come in!" She called in a soft voice. I opened the door. There was a gorgeous woman sitting behind a desk. She could easily be in her late 50s or early 60s. She had short grey hair and I only realized how tall she was until she stood up to shake my hand. She looked intimidating as fuck.

"Pleasure to meet you, Ezra! I'm Miss Weems." I just nodded my head and sat down in a chair in front of her, making myself as comfortable as possible. She eyed me up and down, probably thinking that my all-black masculine attire and man-spread did not scream LADY.

"Welcome to Nevermore, where all outcasts feel at home! And if they don't, we make sure they do."  She said. I smirked and scoffed.

"You make it seem like it's a hotel or something." She laughed out loud and gave me a knowing smile.

"We try as much as possible to help our students feel as comfortable as possible. Considering your delicate case, with your brother being..." She stopped and looked away.

"Dead." I continued for her. "You can say it." She seemed embarrassed but did her best at giving me a comforting smile.

"I was going to say not with us anymore." I scoffed again.

"Same shit. Don't try to make it nicer." I looked away and pursed my lips. She sighed.

"Ezra, I understand the place you're coming from. Just know that we will try to make the living accommodations here as pleasant as possible. I am fairly aware that your power can be overwhelming and draining. Hence why I assigned a roommate who I guarantee will make you change your vision of life." She smiled sympathetically then looked over at the door. "Will you come in please?" I turned around as the door opened only to find myself wishing the earth would swallow me whole at this precise moment.

Enid.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wanted to post the prologue and leave it on for a little while to give you room to imagine how the story may go. But I got too excited.

There will be some major character developments so don't worry!

Have a nice day sweethearts.

~M