Chapter 3

Ezra's POV:

There's nothing more morbid than talking to the dead. Sometimes, without me even trying to convoke them, they would just come and annoy the living fuck out of me. Like tonight for example. Two ghosts were jumping up and down my bed and not shutting the fuck up. I was trying to sleep for fuck's sake. I turned towards them. They looked carelessly happy, two joyful children. I eyed them up and down and scolded them.

"Leave. I didn't ask for you to come." I mumbled while shoving my head under the pillow to try and drown out their laughter. They laughed even harder. I clenched my jaw and closed my eyes. It kept getting worse, so I immediately sat up straight and glared at them.

"Fuck. Off. I'm trying to sleep, you inconsiderate morons." I hissed under my breath. They looked at me and scoffed while continuing to jump. I felt smoke come out of my ears.

"LEAVE!!!" I screamed. They actually got scared and vanished. I lay back down and closed my eyes.

"Holy moly." I heard Enid say in a raspy voice as if she just woke up, which I then realized she did. I turned my back to her not in the mood for a conversation, especially with her. Nights are so hard; you can't even imagine. I just wish everything was easier.

"Are you okay?" She mumbled, her voice still raspy. I sighed and sat up straight. I ran a hand through my hair and looked at her. Her hair was kind of messy and she was wearing pink pajamas. Kind of cute, not going to lie... Wait, what?!

I cleared my throat. "Yeah, just the ghosts. Sometimes they don't know how to shut up." She nodded her head, her lips pursed and stood up to walk over my bed. I moved until my back hit the wall, trying to avoid physical contact.

"Jeez. What's up with you? I'm not going to bite you." She teased with a smirk.

"If you dare come closer..." I warned but she had already sat on the bed next to me, her back facing me and her head turned towards me. She had her typical cheeky grin plastered on her face.

"What will you do?" She retorted while winking. I was fuming. How dare she challenge me? She was so infuriating.

"Rip you to shreds." I hissed. She laughed out loud before laying down beside me. I swallowed my saliva and tried to keep as much distances as possible.

"I don't think you would actually do that." She stated with a twinkle in her bright blue eyes.

I scoffed. "What makes you think I wouldn't?"

She laughed again. "I have my own answers." She shrugged and looked at me. I could see her smiling from the corner of my eye. I quickly glanced at her. Her smile softened up.

"It must be hard, right?" She asked gently.

"What?" I asked in confusion while looking at her.

She hummed and turned away. "The dead talking to you and not shutting up."

I sighed.

"Yeah, it's... Whatever, I don't want to talk about it." I said while putting my hands behind my head and staring at the ceiling.

She chuckled. "You don't have to. I kind of have an idea. Your family is very powerful. Elliot had-..."

My head whipped in her direction in the quickest way possible.

"Don't. Don't even mention him. Don't say his name." I threatened. I felt my blood boiling. It's an unspoken rule at the Marshall family: "Never bring up Elliot".

Her eyes widened and she scootched away in fear. I realized how harsh I sounded but I couldn't even bother to care. Elliot is such a sensitive topic to bring up.