Chapter 23

Ezra's POV

Enid has been avoiding the Weathervane's at all costs. Every time we would pass by it, she would walk faster with her head down. And, every time I asked her about it, she would shrug it off. I was weirded out. She was never this closed off. She talked about everything with me and never hesitated to tell me about the most simple, trivial stuff. I was confused so I resorted to talk to Gary about it as I picked up our takeaway orders as Enid told me she wasn't in the mood for a walk in Jericho but still felt like drinking coffee.

"I don't get it! She's not talking to me." I whined as I paid for our coffees.

Gary sighed. "Maybe it's 'that time of the month'?" He shrugged.

I shook my head. "That was last week, she's done."

He looked like he was in deep thoughts. "Maybe I make her uncomfortable..." He mumbled, sounding a bit sad.

I scoffed. "Of course not, Gary! You're our friend."

He lowered his head, giving me a sheepish smile. "I just came to town. You're the only person making me feel like I belong here."

I gave him a small smile and punched him jokingly in the shoulder. He handed me the coffees.

"What's the story about Nevermore?" Gary suddenly asked.

I was taken aback by his question. "Why are you asking?"

He sighed and urged me to come closer. "I've been thinking of enrolling myself in there."

My eyes widened. "You're an outcast?" I whisper-yelled.

He winked at me. "Sure am."

"What are your powers?"

He extended his palm and suddenly, the empty cup of coffee gravitated to his hand. He looked so proud.

"Telekinesis..." I murmured.

"I didn't know how I could talk to you so I fished Enid's phone out of her bag to be able to come and have a conversation with you." He explained.

I narrowed my eyes at him and pointed my finger at him. "Do that and you won't have a hand to grab anything."

He gulped and nodded. The conversation flowed easily afterwards and I was excited for him to come join us in Nevermore.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gary successfully passed the exam since he was an excellent student. Enid now was royally avoiding him AND I, considering that I was spending most of my time with Gary since he had no friends yet. They all thought he was a bit too much, a bit too happy, kind of like slimy glue.

Enid was not talking to me. I would come back to our room and she would barely exchange a few sentences. I was getting exponentially confused. Our one month anniversary was close and she was still acting like a child.

So I told her that I wanted to talk to her. She finally agreed, under the one condition, us staying in our room. Which meant she was pissed and was about to lash out on me.

I was waiting for her, pacing back and forth in our room. The door opened and she came in.

Her face was blank, no trace of emotions whatsoever. We stayed in silence.

"Why aren't you talking to me, Enid?" I blurted out.

Her head snapped in my direction, pure fury in her eyes. "You don't get the small hints, do you?" She hissed.

I took a step back and she took one forward. "What hints are you talking about, E?"

She scoffed. "I didn't know I was supposed to teach you how to think or analyze, Ezra. I thought that was your prime domain."