Chapter 28

Enid's POV

We were practically running back to school. We immediately went to Sheila's room. She was sleeping there alone without any roommate.

Ezra started banging loudly on the door and calling her. There wasn't any reply. Gary tried to forcefully open the door but he couldn't.

"Can I try?" I asked quietly.

Ezra raised an eyebrow yet nodded her head. Gary stepped aside. With a few forceful maneuvers and a little push, the door was opened. They both looked at me in shock.

"What? I'm a werewolf." I simply replied.

Ezra smirked and kissed my cheek before we all entered Sheila's room. It was all neat and perfect except for one thing. I pointed to the window: it was opened.

"She ran away..." Gary whispered. "But why would she if all she did was curse your obsidian?"

My eyes widened. "What if she has something to do with the Hyde and the murders?"

Ezra shook her head. "I used 'the voice of truth' on her. There's no way she can resist it."

Gary pursed his lips. "What if she was protected?" He pondered.

"By a spell or a crystal?" I questioned.

Gary shrugged and motioned for us to look in her belongings in order to find clues. We started searching without exactly knowing what we're looking for. There was nothing. Absolutely nothing. We raided the room, each corner. Nothing at all.

Ezra huffed in frustration. "Let's go sleep and we'll handle this tomorrow."

We sighed in agreement and left for our respective rooms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ezra plopped down on my bed. She looked exhausted. I sat beside her and started stroking her arm.

"You know we'll figure it out, right?" I said softly.

She gave me a sad look. "If she resisted 'the voice of truth', I don't know what else to do to beat her and the Hyde. That is IF she has something to do with this whole mess." She exhaled and laid down.

I laid beside her and gazed at her. Her jaw was clenched. She was tense. I felt helpless.

"Why do you think she cursed your stone?" I randomly asked.

"Perhaps to get back at me for not responding to her approach." Ezra shrugged, her eyes on the ceiling.

I smiled cheekily. "And why did you not 'respond to her approach'?" I teased.

Ezra looked at me with furrowed eyebrows. She looked so confused, it was almost comical. "Because I liked you..." She stated bluntly.

I started laughing and snuggled closer to her, pecking her cheek softly. "I was just messing with you."

She gave me a lopsided smile before kissing my forehead. "Let's change our clothes and head to bed." She proposed.

When we got in our pajamas, Ezra laid down on my bed and I joined her, putting my head on her chest as she wrapped her arms around me.

We tried to have as peaceful of a night as we can get.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up and Ezra wasn't there. I felt the panic building up. My lungs were contracting and suddenly it was harder to breathe. I curled up into a ball and started crying. The tears came out on their own and I couldn't stop them. I was struggling to take a small breath.