Chapter 27

Ezra's POV:

When we found out that Gary was innocent, he sat us down to explain to us everything that's been happening to him and why he goes to the woods.

"I basically train myself there. To carry rocks, trees, bushes. I also try to learn how to throw them with all my strength to do as much damage as possible." He said.

"What's the point of training? What's your purpose?" I asked.

"Well... Ever since I was attacked by the Hyde for the first time, I decided to strengthen myself, so that I could fight back whenever a fight occurs." He elaborated, shrugging.

"Only an alpha werewolf is able to wound a Hyde though." Enid added in a small voice.

Gary smiled. "That I know. A little damage wouldn't hurt nobody though, right?" He chuckled.

He then clarified so many concepts about the Hyde that Aurora didn't, saying that he had made intensive research to find as much information about those species as possible.

"A Hyde has one master." He started confidently. "He obeys to their orders and only follows them. If the master is peaceful, the Hyde will thus be peaceful. The opposite way is the same. In this Hyde's case, the master is obviously a bloodthirsty psychopath."

I laughed and turned to Enid who looked petrified.

We went on and on until it was almost lights out. The information we had gathered gave us enough input on who the Hyde might be. I had a gut feeling that it wasn't someone in Nevermore though. The rest agreed. The killer, or the evil mastermind per se, though... It was very foggy in my head.

When we dropped Gary off to his room, he grinned.

"Thank you for finally seeing the truth." He said to me then looked at Enid. "And I'm sorry for calling you a bitch."

She smiled. "It's in the past, don't worry about it."

The twinkle is his eyes came back despite how tired they looked. "I need to clarify one more thing, Ezra." I urged him to go on. "I took your obsidian for you."

"Dude, what the fuck is up with you and taking our stuff." I huffed in frustration. "And FOR me? Don't you mean FROM me?" I added in confusion.

His eyes turned sad and dark at the same time. "Someone had cursed it. I wanted to protect you."

My eyes widened and Enid immediately clung onto my arm. "What do you mean someone cursed it?" She asked quickly.

He sighed and shook his head. "I don't have any power other than telekinesis. But I was raised around stones and crystals. I can feel them when they're charged and I can also feel it when they're cursed. So I took it from your neck using my powers and cleansed it. Luckily it was a full moon. When I took it from your neck, those odd words were engraved on it. Which made me realize that no matter how much I would try to undo the curse, it was imbedded in the obsidian."

I was shocked. All along, Gary was trying to protect me. All along, he was trying his outmost best to make sure nothing happens to me.

"When was the last time you removed it from your neck?" His voice snapped me out of my thoughts.

"A while back, I guess..." I pondered.

"It was cursed then." He explained then pursed his lips. "We'll find out who it is. I'll help you guys out."

He gave us both a comforting quick hug before he got in and closed the door.

Enid looked like she was about to pass out. I frowned. "Are you okay, E?"