Season 4, Chapter 16: Doubts

"First, we will need more allies."

Y/N, Hange, Mikasa, and Jean all stood in a room, conversing. Each of them had their arms crossed, thinking about ways to stop Eren's Rumbling. Meanwhile, the others were fast asleep in other rooms across the abandoned fort.

"I'm in either way," Mikasa replied. "Eren's way is wrong."

"But even if we do stop him, the world will continue hating Eldians," Jean said defiantly. "We've been looking for a peaceful solution for years, forcing Eren to act this way."

"I refuse to believe genocide is the answer, Jean," Hange replied. "I acknowledge that the world has failed to find a solution, but this isn't the way."

Hange turned to Y/N, keeping a stern look.

"Are we going to be able to stop him?" Hange asked.

"We have a very low probability of stopping him. I don't think Titans will be enough." Y/N said. "He can control every one of us except for Mikasa and me. Unless we can sneak up on Eren..."

"We'll try," Hange said abruptly. "As Commander of the Scout Regiment, we'll try everything we can."
__________________________________

Gathered around a campfire in the night, the last remnants of the Scout Regiment and Marleyan military all sat around awkwardly, unable to utter a single word. Finally, Magath spoke up.

"Why do you want to kill Eren?" He asked suspiciously. "You know that if he prevails and completes the Rumbling, you Eldians will live in paradise."

"We are against genocide," Hange answered, maintaining her gaze on the floor.

"You island devils finally have a sense of justice now?"

"Sense of justice?!" Jean began.

"Jean," Y/N said quickly. "Don't."

"So we're the devils for trying to fight back after years of being cornered by Titans you shoved onto us?! How dare you try to blame us! We were trying to survive!"

"You are the devils here! Thanks to you, this world will fall at the hands of Eren Yeager!"

"This is ridiculous," Y/N said, stopping the argument. "Why are we here? If we wanted a history lesson on how much we suffered, go ahead. But I'm not going to be stuck in the past."

Y/N set down his bowl of food.

"Both Marley and Paradis Island have inflicted their sense of justice onto the world because of it. But that doesn't mean we should destroy ourselves on what it means to be human."

"... the question is: will you be able to kill Eren?" Annie asked.

"If that is the price I have to pay to save him, I will." Y/N turned to Annie.

"Don't worry. I believe you." Annie said before looking at Mikasa.

"Wait a minute. We want to talk to Eren first." Armin said, making Annie scoff.

"If that doesn't work, Marley will, without hesitation, kill Eren. I doubt that the Scouts will be willing to do so. You'll switch sides and would even help Eren achieve his goal. After all, Mikasa's precious Eren can't die, can he?"

Mikasa stood up abruptly, making Y/N and Armin stand up, putting a hand in her way. Annie readied her ring blade and Y/N took a pocket knife and put it dangerously close on his palm.

"Mikasa, I understand your feelings, because the only reason I am here is to save my father in Marley. We'll both do whatever it takes to save our loved ones. I only say this because we will be forced to fight each other if we don't agree." Annie said.

"If we can change Eren's mind, will you be happy with that?" Y/N asked, and Annie nodded.

Y/N put his pocket knife back and Annie retracted her ring blade, and Mikasa calmed down.

"We all have our different beliefs." Y/N replied. "We also have our own people to get back home too. I promise, that I won't let Eren destroy that...!"

End of Chapter