Chapter 30: Execution grounds

" ": You talking

' ': You thinking

* *: Narrator/Voice-off

3rd Person POV:

*Against the soldiers united and trained for the common cause of overthrowing the rotten Empire, the lackluster Imperial army was helpless. The people who were oppressed by the Empire joyfully welcomed the arrival of the great Lord who aimed to end the dark ages, and gladly offered material goods to aid the cause. Most strongholds surrendered without a battle, even those which were not involved in a premeditated collusion with the Empire. Because if a battle broke out, the citizens would revolt violently. And thus, the revolutionary army's invasion proceeded at an astounding pace. Once they pass through the stronghold of Shisuikan, they will finally arrive at the Capital. However...*

 *Shisuikan had become an impregnable fortress because Budo's Imperial guards were stationed there

*Shisuikan had become an impregnable fortress because Budo's Imperial guards were stationed there. The revolutionary army's invasion had come to an abrupt halt.*

Budo: Continue fortifying the defenses. If they come out on the offensive, everything will go according to plan. Once the invasion of the Western tribes is repelled, the elite soldiers that have been deployed there will return to the Capital, AND THAT WILL BE THE END OF THE REVOLUTIONARY ARMY ! YOUR REWARDS WILL BE GREAT !! PUT YOUR LIVES ON THE LINE !!

Soldiers: YES, SIR !! GENERAL !! GENERAL !!

Emperor: Budo's been going to Shisuikan every now and then recently.

Honest: he is just making sure to prevent our merrily waltzing enemies from getting any closer. Please do not worry.

Emperor: Prevent ? Can we not simply reinforce our soldiers and crush them ?

Honest: The momentum is with the enemy at the moment. Clashing into them head on is not in our best interest. Furthermore, if we reinforce Shisuikan with even more imperial guards, the palace security will be dangerously thin.

Emperor: I see...

Honest: Fufufuh. Please do not worry, your majesty. The great general and General Esdeath have greatly influenced the people here. The revolutionary army hope to stir up another insurrection here with their rapid invasion pace, but that didn't go as they planned.

Honest: 'My impeccable timing in calling Esdeath back gave us the strategic upper hand. If she had been able to completely eradicate the Western tribe, we could have had her entire army back, but without her three brute warriors, that's an unrealistic expectation.' And with this next move, we'll further chip away at the Revolution's morale.

Spy: Wh... What... ? Public execution of the insurgent, the Snow-cloaked death... ?!