012

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐋𝐕𝐄ᴛᴏ sᴇᴇ ɪᴛ ɪs ʙᴇʟɪᴇᴠɪɴɢ

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐋𝐕𝐄
ᴛᴏ sᴇᴇ ɪ ɪs ʙᴇʟɪᴇᴠɪɴɢ

   𝐈𝐕𝐘 𝐓𝐀𝐏𝐏𝐄𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐄𝐍𝐃 of her pen against her notebook, listening to Ms. Thornhill teach, "While most plants reward their pollinators with sweet nectar, many carnivorous varieties turn to sexual trickery or deception."

"I tweaked my back fencing." Ivy looked over to Xavier as he spoke, yet both Wednesday and Ivy knew he was lying. Their paranoia the past week about the monster didn't help their suspicions.

Ms. Thornhill continued, "The orchid produces a pheromone that mimics a female insect, luring the males in. Now, once the plant is pollinated, what do the male insects get in exchange?"

"Nada." Bianca voiced. "Just like all the guys at the Rave'N." Her words making the others chuckle, except Wednesday and Ivy.

"Okay, okay. I know you're all excited about Saturday, which is why I haven't assigned any homework." Wednesday and Ivy were too much in there own head, that they didn't hear the no homework. "But I do still need volunteers for the decorating committee. Anyone interested, come and see me up here."

"What, you're not gonna volunteer?" Xavier's words snapped both girls from there thoughts. Ivy glanced to the boy and then down the notebook, writing something down. "Aren't you pumped about disco balls and spiked punch? There's even a DJ. MC Blood Suckaz."

"I'd rather stick needles in my eyes." The raven haired girl looked away, "I'll probably do that anyway."

Ivy ripped the paper out her notebook, folding it up. "Or you could invite someone and have a little fun." Both girls the scratches on Xavier's neck this time. Wednesday stood, grabbing Ivy's arm.

"Come on, Ivy. We have to leave, now."

Ivy sent a small smile goodbye to the Thorpe boy over her shoulder as Wednesday dragged her away. "What?"

Wednesday made sure no one else was listening. "I have a theory. But how much do you really know about Xavier?"

If you told Ivy last week that she was spying on one of her only friends, she would have laughed in your face. But here she is, hiding beside Wednesday as they watched Xavier leave his art shed.

"We need to do this." Wednesday assured. "Xavier didn't get those scratched from fencing. He's hiding something."

"He usually is, but this is . . . different."

Once the artist was out of sight, Wednesday and Ivy moved forth, quickly and quietly making entry inside. Ivy pulled the light on, the horror of portraits on the very same monster they'd been hunting lined the walls.