TWENTY SIX

𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙩𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮 𝙨𝙞𝙭 :
spoiled but lonely

﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎

     "MAMA! LOOK WHAT I made you!" Riko grinned brightly up at her mom, holding out a pale paper

     The paper held a small drawing of the woman and her young daughter, with the father on the other side of the 5-year-old. All the figures were smiling, the grins almost reaching their ears as the figures were all holding hands. The young girl was proud of the wholesome drawing and wanted to show her mom, hence why she was standing there in front of her desk.

"I can't right now Riko." Her mother urged, not looking away from the computer sat at the desk. Her fingers typed ferociously as she finished an email. The woman was able to work from home to 'take care' of her child. Which meant working nonstop and ignoring the little girl. Her father traveled to work everyday. leaving Riko with the old maid Nana most of the time.

"But," Riko started, "it won't take long... I promise!"

Her mother turned with a large sigh and looked at the paper. She gave it a careless once over and then immediately turned back to the electronic on the desk. "Very nice Riko. Now, mommy's busy so can you please go back to your room?"

"I... okay mommy..."

With a broken spirit Riko trudged to her room, walking past the fancy portraits of family members she had never met, fancy vases that held unloved flowers, and antiques that were just for show. It was no secret that her parents were wealthy, the main reason all the ancestors' belongings had gone to them. But they weren't cared for, just an act for people outside to view.

Another way to arrogantly shove their wealth into other's faces was to give their daughter all she asked for, but for a catch.

The newest action figures? Sure, Riko, you can have it if you be quiet for the rest of the day.

A teddy bear you've wanted for a year? Yes, but only if you leave us alone so that we can work.

Riko was spoiled. She knew she was. But why did feel like she was missing so much? 

It wasn't much better at school. Riko felt detached from her peers as they had different interests than her. They worried about things that seemed miniscule in her life, but Riko had been told that she was "mature for her age." 

She assumed it was because of her surroundings growing up. Parents too formal with you, not showing you enough love. The maid being the only one that cared for you even a minuscule amount.