Chapter Eight; Sigils

The odd group bristled with armor and weapons. Ian had come to Sigils and Henwy and told them that they were finally going to free the overworld from the terror of the End.

"Alright, now we just have to wait for the dragon to come around here," Ian called from the front of the group. Sigils scrambled up onto a tall rock and looked down at the rest of the group.

"How are you sure that it will come this way?" Henwy asked. He hoisted himself up a tree and sat on a low-hanging branch.

"There are four main places the dragon always comes to each and every day. It basically goes on a patrol. This is one of the places. It's the one closest to our home. Another is a giant crater in the old town, where the Living Chamber used to be," Garry answered in response.

"Oh," Henwy murmured.

"I'll scout ahead," Cherri started to continue down the path, but paused and turned back, "Garry! Come on!"

The duo jogged off into the forest.

"And now we wait," Crainer declared.

* * *

They heard it before Cherri or Garry even returned.

It was the low thumps it made as it walked across the forest floor. Sigils originally mistook it for an earthquake.

Cherri and Garry burst out of the forest, panting and out of breath.

"It's coming," Garry said through gasps of breath, "Everyone get ready."

The dragon roared and shoved its snout into the clearing they were in. Sigils stared in horror at the creature, remembering the day it hatched. Remembering the day it discovered its power, and the day it destroyed his home.

Its soulless eyes focused on the six before it.

And so they ran.

And so it chased.

Sigils' searching eyes picked out familiar landmarks that betrayed the path that led to the destroyed ghost town. The trees began thinning until he burst into a wide open field. He didn't stop though.

Sigils saw the mangled buildings. His legs and lungs burned. They almost burned more than the fire the dragon could unleash.

The grass soon melded into cobblestone and dirt. Sigils was now running through the ghost town. He turned towards the mayoral building and stifled a gasp. There was a giant rift above the crater Henwy had hatched the dragon in.

He didn't remember a rift opening when the dragon was born, yet that day was so hazy, like it was a dream he was trying to remember.

A nightmare.

"Sigils!" A voice shrieked, Ian, "GO!"

He turned and saw his friends running towards him with the force of a hundred burning mountains barreling behind them.

Sigils turned and leapt into the rift.