Chapter Twelve; Crainer

Blood trickled from his nose and ran down his face. He and Ian were swinging at Henwy, desperately trying to weaken him, but the tyrant had been alive longer and had faced many more battles. Henwy snarled and whirled around, kicking Crainer and knocking him to the ground. Blood coated the left side of Henwy's face and his eyes were wild. He raised his sword, staring at Crainer, and started bringing it down.

Crack!

The two wooden training sword slammed against one another. The force shook through Crainer's arms.

Crainer jumped back and away from Henwy. He crouched down and swept his leg out, knocking Henwy's own out from under him. Henwy fell onto his butt with a grunt.

Crainer stood and dusted himself off. Henwy grinned and laughed, trying to stand. Crainer grabbed Henwy's outstretched hand and pulled him to his feet.

"Nice job," Henwy complimented Crainer and raised his hand in a fist for a fist bump. Crainer followed through with the gesture.

"Same to you!"  Crainer clapped Henwy on the back, "I'll be honest, you surprised me."

"I've seen you fight WAY better than that, Hen," Sigils pipped up and smirked from the sidelines.

"Oh?" Henwy asked, turning to the man, his smile growing, "Why don't you come here and I'll show you what I can really do."

"Oh, so you'll hold back for Crainer but not your childhood friend slash adopted brother?"  Sigils asked with mock offense as he grabbed his sword and stood up. He climb down the wooden bleachers and stood beside Henwy on the sands.

"Adopted or not, you're still my brother," Henwy held his sword tightly with both hands, "So I'll treat you like one."

Crainer barked a laugh and scurried off of the sand as the duo started their duel.

Crainer panted and rolled away from Henwy and his wild swings. Henwy roared in fury and frustration. Ian threw himself at Henwy, allowing Crainer to scramble away and stand.

Crainer froze when he heard a scream. Cherri.

He whirled around to see Cherri cry out and struggling to Garry who was bleeding on the ground. She was quickly knocked down by Sigils.

Finally there was pain again.

It was the same pain he had felt that night, when Henwy had killed him before. The spot where his heart was felt like it was just removed. Gone.

He looked down to see the blade's point, and he was back in the forest at midnight. A hand clamped over his mouth and his body running cold.

"NO!" Ian scream-sobbed.

The sword was tugged away and he fell to the concrete.

Crainer closed his eyes.

Tck...

Tck...

Crack.