Chapter Fifteen; Ian

When Ian got knocked down, he laid on the ground and tried blinking away the stars flying through his vision. His head throbbed, but he watched as Henwy started walking away.

Ian lowered his eyes to a knife that sparkled on the ground. He reached for it and wrapped his fingers around the hilt. Ian felt powerful. He admired the beauty of the knife. The blade was a sparkling silver and was clean and polished. The sun was setting, so it's golden glow bounced off the knife's silver blade.

Ian struggled to sit up and managed to rise up to his knees.

"HENWY!" He shouted.

The man flinched and turned. Ian threw the knife, and the feel of it leaving his hand sent shivers through his arm. It spiraled through the air, a clean aim for Henwy's chest.

A look of shock mixed with horror crossed Henwy's face, and he defensively raised an arm to shield himself.

"Ian, are you sure that's a good idea?"

Ian chuckled, "Do you know who you're talking to?"

Sigils scoffed and turned to look back at the path. Ian hoisted himself into the tree and stood on a branch that creaked under him.

Henwy leaned over to Sigils and whispered loudly, "He's losing this bet."

"I will not," Ian huffed, and sat down on the branch.

"Famous Last Words," Henwy called.

Ian gave Henwy a look and then swung himself upside down so that he was hanging over the lake. The branch creaked and snapped, dumping the weight of Ian into the water. Ian yelped as he fell, causing him to get a mouthful of water.

When he resurfaced, Henwy and Sigils were laughing loudly. Ian spat out the water and  climbed back to the shore, trying to shake water off of him.

"The water is cold, that's one thing," Ian shivered.

"And you lost two diamonds, that's another thing." Henwy grinned.

Ian rolled his eyes and reached for his bag and removed two diamonds. Henwy held his hand out expectantly. Ian reached to give them to Henwy, but pivoted at the last moment and threw them into the lake.

"You are a sore loser," Henwy mumbled.

Ian turned and grinned at the man.

A figure intercepted the path and stood in front of Henwy.

"SIGILS!" Henwy cried as the knife imbedded into Sigils' chest.

Henwy whirled to Ian and, revealing an axe, sprang towards Ian and thrusted the weapon into Ian's head.

Tck...tck...crack.