Chapter Twenty; Henwy

The village was in the valley below him.

Henwy pulled the black hood over his head, shielding his face. He strolled down the path, keeping his head tilted downward to hide his face.

He approached the central market of the village. When Henwy had last arrived, this village was a few houses an a blacksmith at most, but now it felt like a city; stretching miles in all directions and bursting with life. It was surprising, to say the least.

As Henwy walked, the villagers swerved around him. A creature lumbered in front of him and blocked his path. Henwy jumped back and looked up. The iron golem stared down at Henwy, ruby eyes examining him.

A bit of iron would be nice. Henwy thought, revealing his glowing netherite sword.

The golem let out an inhuman growl and lumbered forward, raising its arms to swing.

Henwy ducked under its arm and stabbed into its knee, chipping away the outer crust.

The golem roared and spun, its forearm colliding with Henwy's head.

He was sent flying and rolled across the dirt path. He grunted, ignoring his throbbing head, and peered through the haze to see the golem still dragging itself to Henwy. Henwy rolled away as it slammed its fists into the ground, right where Henwy's head once was.

It lifted its arms and shook dirt from it. Henwy took the opportunity to leap and embed his sword into its stomach.

Except, his sword bounced off of the surface, leaving only an chip in the outer shell.

Henwy scrambled away, panting heavily. He looked around and noticed that a thick wall of villagers were surrounding him and the golem.

The golem swung again and caught Henwy's stomach. Air swiftly exited is stomach, causing pain to flair all along his sides.

Gasping and wheezing for breath, Henwy tried pushing away from the golem, but it firmly planted a foot on his chest. Henwy desperately fought for air and clawed helplessly at the golem's leg.

Movement from the crowd caught Henwy's eyes.

He turned, seeing a figure step out of the crowd, neon blue eyes wide and fearful.

"Wisp?"

His head was smashed into the ground.