Chapter Fourteen B; Sigils

A/N: Oh gosh, here we go-

Sigils had the papers. Every single one. He was sure of it. Henwy was in the other room, enclosed in an anti-gravity cage and surrounded by monsters.

His fingers brushed through the soft, golden-yellow pages as he tucked them all carefully into four shulker boxes. He opened the door that lead to Henwy. He was floating in the giant glass cage surrounded by water and night creatures of the sea. Henwy was leaning against the right wall, his back to Sigils. When the door opened, Henwy's head snapped up, but he didn't turn. The sea monsters stirred, hissing and snapping. Clawing and scratching. Lashing and twisting. Henwy nor Sigils were affected by them. Both had faced far worse terrors.

Each other.

"What do you want?" Henwy barked. His speech was slightly slurred from loss of sleep over the weeks.

"I'm going to read something to you," Sigils murmured, also slurred from sleep deprivation, and pressed the button that transported Henwy to a different cage. It wasn't too secure, but the mining fatigue still affected the madman. When Henwy was teleported, the first signs of fear he had seen in a while appeared on his face, for Sigils could kill him with the press of a single button.

"What, are you going to read me a bedtime story and then kiss me goodnight by killing me?" Henwy hissed, trying to cover for the strike of fear he had let slip onto his face.

"No, I just want to see you more clearly. I want to see your face instead of having it distorted by the water," Sigils replied calmly.

Sigils opened the first shulker box. It held every letter from before the Mafia in season one. 264 to be exact.

He grabbed the first one. The edges were withered and slightly torn. The ink was splotchy and the handwriting, from Sigils himself, was slightly hard to read.

Henwy's eyes widened when he saw the paper, "How..." Henwy sat down and leaned against the back wall.

"Dear Henwy,
Can you believe it? The past six years has finally led to this moment. You, me, Biffle, Nico, Gold, Karan, and almost everyone we have met has finally settled down in a place we can be free," Sigils' voice wavered and Henwy sucked in a startled breath, "and a place where we don't have to worry about death. I am writing to you because I want to say thank you. You have been the light in our journey from our old home with our adoptive parents to this beautiful and prosperous valley. In the hardest moments, you were there for me, so to pay it back, I want you to write to me. You can tell me anything from what you did that day to future plans for the camp members.
Signed, Sigils."

Sigils placed the page down and grabbed another, "Your response."

"Dear Sigils,
how 2 write
Signed Henwy."

"I am quite glad your grammar and handwriting has improved from then," Sigils said, almost jokingly. He read every letter up until the last two. One from Sigils, one from Henwy.

"Dearest Sigils, I have been worried about you. I know how all of this Mafia stuff has been stressing you out. Maybe we could pause, take a day off? Go out into the woods and talk? It's been quite a while since we have last had a normal conversation, and I think we both need it. Maybe, if you want, we could talk about the Mafia. We can share some knowledge and ideas about who it might be, and ideas on how to capture them.
Sincerely your friend,
Henwy"

"'You're friend, Henwy', HA," Sigils slammed the paper onto the growing stack and stared at Henwy. Henwy's back was turned to Sigils, his shoulders trembled ever so slightly. Sigils himself was almost to the point of breaking, "And my final letter from before finding out that you had created the Mafia." He picked up the final letter in the first shulker box. With a deep breath, he read.

"Henwy, I am sorry but I am going to have to decline. I felt it has been hard to trust anyone lately. Maybe sometime after I find the Mafia we can have a break from the world.
Sigils."

"You hardly tried," Henwy grumbled quietly.

"Yeah, maybe if I had went on a leisurely stroll with you, none of this would have happened," Sigils shot back sarcastically.

"I looked up to you, Sigils," Henwy mumbled, "I made the Mafia because I wanted to be powerful like you. I made the Mafia because all of you looked down on me."

Sigils inhaled sharply. He shakily took the dozens of papers and tucked them into the first shulker box and shoved it to the opposite end of the sleek, white desk. He grabbed the next box.

"These ones are from after I found out about the Mafia. They end right around when we made the bunker."

"Sigils,
I am quite sorry about the Mafia, I truly am. I never intended for this to get so out of hand. I suggested this before, and I'll suggest it again. We can walk through town and explain ever mechanic we used on each other. We can get away from everyone and have this moment to talk. We can turn this thing that tore us apart into something that brings us back together.
Henwy."

Sigils read thirteen more letters. The last two were nothing special, just Sigils and Henwy discussing the bunker before they moved into it.

"And now we have all of the newer letters. The letters from this world," Sigils glanced up to see Henwy was staring at him. Tears streamed down his enemy's face. That's when Sigils realized tears dripped from his face to the letter in his hands.

"My dearest Henwy, I have missed the letters we used to exchange, and I know you have as well. I see your hands twitch when we talk, longing to pick up a pen and start writing. I have seen you sit outside with paper and your pencil hovering over the page, unsure of what to write.

Biffle suggested that we start writing to each other again. I like that. It might help get past the differences we have had in the past. It might help with the awkward tension between us when we try to speak. Maybe this time we can make it right, make it the paradise we both have dreamed of.
Your greatest frenemy, Sigils."

"You thought you were so funny with that signature," Henwy growled.

"Thy wonderful Sigils," Sigils began with the next letter, "You are not wrong. I do miss writing to you. And maybe you are right, writing to each other again could help us. I do have some building plans I have attached to this letter that you could look at since you are technically still the mayor. I am your favorite architect, right?"

"You were my favorite architect," Sigils murmured.

"Then why did you choose Alxton over me?"

"I didn't fully trust you," Sigils replied.

Sigils continued. Letter by letter, both Henwy and Sigils broke more and more.

Finally, they were through with all of them. Sigils slammed the last letter down.

"Are you proud of yourself?" He shouted, "Are you happy with what you've done?"

Henwy wasn't facing Sigils anymore. His back was to Sigils and his face was buried in his knees. He didn't reply.

Sigils turned and left the room.

Henwy had escaped. Sigils stood, staring at the dragon egg and the pit of fire and lava surrounding it.

He held the letters, clutched tightly to his chest. He looked up and saw a figure on the hill. Henwy. He wore a black robe that billowed in the wind and covered his face.

Sigils released the papers, sending them fluttering down into the pit of fire and burning.

Sigils turned and walked away. He had a meeting he needed to get to.