Chapter Seventeen; Cherri

Cherri clutched the knife, then softened and dropped it. She took a step back and chuckled, "Henwy, my god."

The man's eyes darted and scanned Cherri's face, still glistening from tears.

Cherri stepped towards Henwy, "How exactly did this all happen? Last I knew of, you and Sigils hated each other! Your relationship seems- or I guess seemed -so complex. One moment, the two of you are strangers, and the next you're taking knives for each other.

Cherri glanced down at Sigils, who was still bleeding out. She shook her head, "I don't want to kill you, Henwy. There isn't anything left here for me. It's all withered and reduced to ash."

Cherri scanned the decayed environment around the two. The grass was long dead, the buildings burned black, ash and smoke still hanging heavy in the air.

Cherri turned back to Henwy as he lunged at her. He knocked her to the ground and held a knife to her throat. It's blade was dark to the hilt with violet-red blood. Cherri sucked in a startled breath as the ender-infected blood dripped down onto her neck.

"You're scared of me, Cherri," Henwy rasped, his voice quiet and shaky, "You don't want to kill me because you don't want to be alive alone, you don't want to kill me because you know you can't."

Cherri's heart raced as Henwy continued, "You know I'm a villain, Cherri. Anyone who's met me knows. I've seen how you look at me. You look at me with fear. With disgust. You think you've had it bad, but oh no, you've only known paradise."

Henwy chuckled quietly, "You haven't been nearly torn apart by a dragon's jaws countless times over, and even if you have, there was someone who could help you," Henwy snarled, "I've never had that luxury, Cherri. I've always had to fend for myself."

Henwy pressed the blade to Cherri's throat, "Even when I had friends."

"You're sick," Cherri hissed, wincing slightly.

"One day, hopefully. See you in hell, Cherri."

Henwy jerked the knife and heat washed her neck. She gasped and coughed, freeing herself and grasping at the wound. Blood trickled through her fingers as she scrambled back from Henwy, who was now standing.

Henwy twirled the knife in his hand, then shifted the grip and stabbed down at Cherri, catching her chest.

Cherri spasmed and shrieked, pain streaming through her like a vicious waterfall. Cherri gasped as Henwy shrank away.

Her eyelids fluttered. Through a haze, she saw Henwy turn and saunter away.

Tck...tck...tck

Crack.