christmas surprise - gaz

"Have you been eating?" I asked through the glitchy screen.

"What was that darling? Connection is kinda finicky." Gaz said back. He sounded a bit like a robot and his image was frozen, but I didn't really care. I was just happy to talk with him for a moment.

"Are you eating? You're taking care of yourself, right?" I asked.

Gaz chuckled. "Yes, I've been eating."

"Good." I smiled. There was a pause. I had been able to talk to him for the past hour, which was longer than our past four video calls combined. We quickly started to spill and speak about anything and everything. He updated me on as much as he could, without getting into too much detail about the missions. He mainly assured me that he was safe. I told him about my job, the neighborhood drama, and how our dog was doing.

"I miss you," I told him.

"I know love. I miss you too."

"Gaz, we've got to-" Price started walking into the room and behind Gaz. He stopped and waved at the camera. "Hi (y/n)."

I waved back. "Hello, sir. How are you?"

"Doing just fine."

"Good. Now, what's this about you letting my Kyle fall out of a helicopter? If I had half a right mind I'd hunt you down and wring your neck! I better not hear any more stories about you letting something like that- Price! You get back here! Don't you-" I scolded him. He quickly turned around realizing I wasn't going to let up my stern rant.

"Darling, it's okay. I'm okay." Gaz tried to calm me down.

"Sorry, Gaz we've got to go over information for Friday." Price said, coming back up to Gaz.

"Sorry, darling. I've-" Gaz looked at me, guilt written on his face.

"That's okay. I understand." I reassured him. "You'll be home for Christmas though, right?" I asked hopefully. He had promised to be back home for Christmas.

He looked up to Price and I could already sense that his promise wouldn't be kept.

"Darling, I-"

I let out a sigh. I didn't mean to. I was usually really good at holding in my frustration and disappointment. I knew that his job was important. I knew he did good work. I knew that things like this happen, but it still hurt when I couldn't spend special days with him.

He had been gone since January, missing my birthday, our anniversary, valentines day, and pretty much every single holiday. He promised to make it up to me and be home for Christmas. I tried really hard to not get my hopes up, but it happened. He had sounded so sure, so confident that he could deliver on his promise.

And now my heart ached, realizing I would be spending another holiday alone. My eyes stung as tears formed at the corners. I didn't want to act like this. I didn't want him to know I was upset or disappointed. I didn't want him to be distracted by my sadness.

"It's alright, Kyle. Sometimes things happen. That's just how the cookie crumbles." I told him. "I'll see you when you're able to get home."

"(y/n), I'm so sorry."

"It's okay." I forced a smile. "You've gotta get going before you get in trouble and I have to start decorating. I love you."

He smiled at me, returning the statement and telling me that he didn't like the idea of me on the ladder where I might fall and get hurt, before hanging up.

With another sigh I let a tear escape and fall down my cheek. I quickly brushed it away and got up to begin decorating.

Wreaths and garland and lights were strung up all over the house. Pictures of Gaz and I celebrating in the past along with pictures of our friends littered each surface that could hold them. I lit candles and had Christmas music playing softly. I loved Christmas.