fate - price

out of the sewers i crawl to deliver a mediocre chapter hahaha >:) 

anyways i didn't really know how to end this sorry. 

--- --- --- 

"John?" I mumbled under my breath seeing the familiar figure across the tarmac. I was in pain. So much pain, but it was like that all disappeared when I saw him. "John Price!" I shouted his name. I scrambled over the side of the gurney I was on, ripping away from the medic team that tried to stop me. All I could focus on was Lieutenant John Price.

He turned at the call of his name and I watched as it took a moment for recognition to fall upon his beautiful face. He dropped whatever he was holding and the person he was talking to scrambled to pick it up. My heart pounded as he copied my movements of rushing towards me.

It had been so long since I had seen him. Too long. Against my will kind of long. Literally, against my will. Laswell had told me I was being assigned to John's team after I finished the current mission I was on with my other team. But something went wrong. We were ambushed and most of us, those who weren't killed on sight, were taken hostage and beaten for the better of two years in an attempt at gaining crucial confidential information from the United Nations. My team were some of the best soldiers alive and so we were able to hold out. I had felt so alone during that time, and I knew I was going to have to undergo some intense therapy to regain any sense of normalcy, there was a good chance I would be honorably discharged from duty due to the circumstances.

I wasn't allowed to speak to my other teammates during those two years, but when a rescue team finally found us I was informed that I was one of two survivors. They told us that we had been pronounced dead within the first three months of being missing, they had no idea we were still alive. Missing in action had turned to killed in action, before reverting to the former a year and a half after our disappearance. The people holding us hostage were getting frustrated with the lack of information so they moved on to hostage negotiation. They videos of them abusing members of my task force and killing them in order to gain information. An exchange is what they wanted. Information in exchange for one member of our team. This was all kept secret from the public and even other taskforces. It would have caused chaos if anyone but the higher-ups knew until we were rescued.

"Oh my god," John mumbled as I fell into his arms. The pain was slowly creeping back. Upon quick inspection on the plane by the medics, it was determined that I had some broken ribs and a boatload of other injuries that hadn't healed right over the last two years. "You're alive. You're alive." He mumbled into my hair. I was crying. The mixture of pain and relief was too much.

The medics rushed over and went on and on about how they needed to take me to some proper doctors, but I didn't budge. I couldn't I was scared that if I let go I wouldn't be able to see him again.

"It's alright, darling. I'm coming with you." Price said. He carefully released me from his hold but held my hand so I knew he was right with me. "I'm not leaving my girl anytime soon."

— — —

I couldn't stop staring at him. I lay in the med bay bed just looking at his face. He was older than the last time I saw him. He had dark circles under his eyes and the small creases in his face showed that he had been under a lot of stress since the last time I saw him. He looked tired, sad.

"Hey, you're awake." He mumbled as he woke up himself. He stretched a bit, probably to get rid of the kinks the uncomfortable chair must have given him.

"Yeah."

"You alright, darling?"

"Kind of. I guess. I don't know."

Price nodded and there was a moment of silence between us.

"You've grown a beard," I mumbled. I didn't know what else to say.

He chuckled. "Yeah. Last time I saw you you said I looked like a man who should have one."

"Awe. You grew one just so I could call you handsome? You got one of those little combs for it and everything, don't you?" I laughed.

He smiled but after a beat, it fell. "I would have come for you. If I had known you were alive, I would have found you." He told me.

"I know," I whispered. And I did know. He would have raised hell to get me back.

"They told me you died. I, uh, they gave me all your stuff. You're tags, your flag, everything." He told me. I nodded. It made sense. I didn't have anyone else. In fact, the only person I did have was John.

— — —

I thought back to when I first met him. I had been top of my class, and the hardest worker in my group. I was sent on the important missions. The dangerous ones. I didn't know how it happened, but one day I found myself in the big leagues. One amongst those whose identities weren't allowed to be known to just anyone.

I had met John on a mission gone wrong. Nothing very serious, someone just messed up and let some bombs go off. I had sustained a concussion in the blast and was separated from my team who had to evacuate, without me. John's team had been sent in as a cleanup crew and he found me. He took me along for the ride, making sure I stayed close to him and he seemed to take a personal interest in making sure I was okay after the mission.

From then on, he just never went away. And I was happy about it. We would just end up in each other's lives at random times. Almost like fate bringing us back together again. There was an unspoken connection between us, and we never officially were dating, but we had shared countless nights with each other and one of those nights, the one before I left on the mission, he asked me if I wanted to get married. And I had said yes.

After the mission, which was technically considered a deployment term, my group stood in formation. One by one my teammates were tapped out of formation and reunited with their friends and family. No one was coming for me. I didn't have family, it was one of the reasons I joined the military in the first place. I didn't know what the protocol was for a soldier who didn't have someone to tap them out, but a part of me started to feel embarrassed and emotional when I was the last one standing. I felt a tap on my shoulder and expected it to be my commanding officer but when I turned I saw Price smiling at me.

"Do I count?" He asked.

"Of course you do." I smiled as I hugged him. During my time off, before I'd eventually be called back into duty, I spent every waking moment with Price.

— — —

"It makes sense you got my stuff. I told Laswell about us. Figured I had to disclose the workplace relationship we had. And we were gonna get married, so in case anything did happen, I wanted my stuff to go to you." I told him.

"Were?" He asked "You don't want-"

"Of course I do. If you'll still have me. I know I'm broken and a bit rough around the edges right now, but I'm still- I hope I'm still me." I said nervously.

He leaned over and kissed my temple. "I have dreamt about it, about you, every day you've been gone."

I smiled and the few tears I had been holding back fell down my cheeks. He gently wiped them away.

"Look at that. Fate brought us together once again." I chuckled.

"And this time fate isn't gonna separate us."