you make me nervous - ghost

"Need something, Casper?" I asked with a mouth full of the bagel I was eating. Ghost had been staring at me for longer than his usual amount of staring. My eyes flickered to his, the hard skull mask was gone and his face was only covered by the balaclava that he wore around the base while we weren't on missions.

He briefly rolled his eyes before settling on my face again. "You've got shit on your face."

I sighed, grabbing a napkin and wiping my face. Ghost pushed back his chair, standing and making a move to the exit of the small dining area. Why would he do that? It was so frustrating. I tried so hard to get him to like me, to trust me, but all my efforts seemed to go unnoticed.

During introductions of the 141, I knew right off the bat that he was going to be the one that was going to be difficult to win over. I was a people person. I knew how to read people, how to interact, and how to get them to like me. But Ghost was a hard book to read.

I couldn't figure out what he liked or disliked. It also didn't help that I, or anyone, knew practically nothing about him. He barely talked to me, which frustrated me beyond all belief. It was even more annoying that he seemed to be annoyed whenever I would talk to him.

Despite not seeming to like me, Ghost did spend a decent amount of time hanging around me. I often found myself eating in the small dining area, sitting down at the table. He would sit down next to me, or already sitting and I would join. He would just casually watch me as I ate, probably enjoying the moment when I wasn't talking.

I couldn't deny that I was a talker. I just liked to joke around and tease my peers. I liked interacting with people. It was enjoyable for me. But Ghost was the opposite.

After a few moments though, typically after I would finish eating or start talking again, he would grunt and then leave.

I was persistent. I wasn't a quitter. There were only a few times when I had to quit for reasons that weren't my own, so I was determined to get him to like me, or at least tolerate me.

"Thanks, Ghost," I mumbled as he walked away. I sighed and looked down at my half-eaten bagel, suddenly not very hungry anymore. If I was being honest, it was becoming increasingly painful every time he brushed me off. What made the whole situation even worse, I had somehow developed feelings for the gruff man.

I got up and threw my bagel away, dealing with my dishes before making my way out of the room. Stepping outside, I was met with the warm rays of the sun beating down. I saw Ghost not too far away talking to some random soldier. His arms were crossed and for a split second, he glanced at me.

I turned away and continued on to wherever I would end up. I didn't actually know where I was going, but I couldn't be in the dining room anymore. Like most times when Ghost would leave me, the room would become suffocating.

"Aye, Lucky, how ya doin'?" Soap asked throwing an arm over my shoulder. I wobbled as he pulled me into a side hug.

"Hey Soap," I greeted, forcing a smile. A sigh still fell from my lips and not being able to look him in the eyes was a clear indication something was wrong.

"What's wrong?" He questioned. He followed as I aimlessly walked.

"Ghost doesn't like me, does he?" I gave the Scottsman a look. "He doesn't trust me. He avoids me like the plague. He doesn't think I'm good enough for the team."

"Talkin' rubbish you are." Soap chuckled. "L.t. just doesn't know how to talk to you."

"Soap, besides you, I am probably the easiest person to get along with." I glared at him.

"Maybe he's just nervous around you."

"I just don't know what I did to make him not like me." I sighed.