just breathe - soap

bro, dawg, people... please give me some time to get back in the grove. its been too long. i'm slowly figuring out how to write again. im just really struggling with endings i guess... lmao 

--- --- ---

 Ringing. Ringing in my ears and the sound of my heart beating was what I could hear. It was like I could feel the blood flowing in and out of my heart. I counted the seconds, trying to regain focus on what was going on. My vision was blurry and I couldn't quite make out the shapes and movements around me.

Into the right atrium, one. I had gotten into the military-grade vehicle. Highly reinforced, a false sense of security. What could realistically crush or destroy something so protected?

Moving to the right ventricle. On our way to our destination, I remember leaning back to relax. I was tired. Our mission was successful, and while the 141, my friends, and I, were talented, some of the best, each mission did take a lot of energy.

Pushing to the pulmonary arteries in the lungs. I had been gasping for breath as I laughed. Soap always had that effect on me. Taking my breath away and making me laugh until I could barely breathe.

Through the pulmonary veins into the left atrium. I had regained my breath, letting oxygen fill my lungs, I wiped tears from my eyes before looking over to Soap as he smiled at me. He liked to make me laugh and I liked that it made him happy. He had a pretty smile.

Finally, the left ventricle before leaving out to the body through the aorta. My smile dropped as I saw the missile heading straight for us. The world seemed to slow down as the explosive drew closer. The driver-side window let me look at our impending doom, moments before it occurred. And there was nothing I could do.

I had called out his name. Soap didn't even have time to turn his head to see what had caused my concern. I don't remember the impact, just what came next. I could feel the beat of my heart. I could feel the blood flow. Logically, I knew it wasn't moving as slowly as I thought it was. It moves fast throughout your body. Faster than you expect. And when you have an injury it's important to do your best to put pressure on the wound. Stop the bleeding. Make your body think that everything is okay so that your body continues regular blood circulation. When impaled, don't remove the foreign object.

My vision was coming in and out of focus. It was like my body was moving in a delayed response. Like I was moving and then my body followed. I wasn't in pain. For a split second, I wondered why I wasn't in pain. Maybe I was a part of a miracle and would walk out of this fine. No, no that wasn't possible. Something had to be wrong, adrenaline was keeping me alert.

I heard my name. My real name. Not my callsign. It sounded distant and muffled. Despite the unsettling nature of the tone, it was recognizable. I tried to place the voice to a name, to a face. It was hard to think.

"Soap? Johnny?" I groaned. The pain was starting to creep in like the fear a child fears when their closet is open in the dark. The concern that something would crawl out and fuel their nightmares. The concern that something was seriously wrong.

"Hey, hey. You're gonna be fine. I'm here. I'm gonna get us out of here, don't worry." He rambled. Oh god. Something was seriously wrong. He was doing his best to convince both of us that we weren't in a compromised situation.

"Johnny-" I said his name again, still delirious. I had finally looked down to see how bad my injuries were. There was a large shard of glass from the windshield piercing the left side of my abdomen. It was strong, bullet proof, but apperently not missile proof. I was sure it had broken my ribs and pierced the bottom part of my lungs. It was hard to breathe. The sound of my heart beating had created a disgusting pathetic melody with my wheezing. There was blood around the wound, but it wasn't an active bleed. It wouldn't be fatal until I pulled out the glass. Keep it in. Don't touch it. Try not to move. Don't die.